Business
No Buyers for Ghana’s Overpriced Cocoa: 70,000 Tonnes Stranded
Nearly 70,000 metric tonnes of Ghanaian cocoa beans are stranded at ports and warehouses with no buyers, as international traders reject the country’s expensive beans in favor of cheaper alternatives from other origins.
Finance Minister Dr. Cassiel Ato Forson made the revelation on Thursday, February 12, 2026, during a press conference to announce emergency measures to save the country’s crisis-hit cocoa sector.
The nearly 70,000 tonnes of stranded cocoa include approximately 50,000 tonnes of unsold stocks already at port and additional volumes from the ongoing mid-crop harvest that buyers have declined to purchase. Licensed Buying Companies (LBCs) estimate that emergency financing is urgently needed for as much as 300,000 tonnes of beans across the supply chain.
“The current situation is largely driven by the unwillingness of buyers to purchase Ghana’s cocoa because it has become uncompetitive and very expensive,” Dr. Forson told the press conference Thursday. “Cocoa from other producing countries is now selling at a price significantly lower than that of Ghana’s producer price.”
The Price Trap
The crisis stems from a catastrophic collapse in global cocoa prices. After trading near $13,000 per tonne on the New York exchange in December 2024, prices fell to between $5,000 and $6,000 a year later and have since hovered around $4,000 per tonne.
Yet Ghana’s farmgate price—adjusted upward in October 2025 to 58,000 cedis per tonne (approximately $5,281 at the time) to compete with Ivory Coast and prevent smuggling—left the country’s beans priced far above the world market.
“The buyers now find our beans as too expensive, and therefore they have shifted to other markets where they can get the beans far cheaper, because these are business decisions,” COCOBOD CEO Dr. Ransford Abbey explained at a press conference last week.
While Ghana has successfully sold approximately 530,000 tonnes since the season began, the remaining stocks have become commercial orphans.
Collateral Damage: Farmers and Clerks
The buyer strike has triggered a cascading liquidity crisis. COCOBOD, unable to sell the beans, cannot pay Licensed Buying Companies, who in turn cannot pay farmers. Some farmers have not received payment since November 2025.
The Licensed Cocoa Buyers Association of Ghana (LICOBAG) reports that frustrated farmers have begun detaining and arresting purchasing clerks—the front-line workers who collect beans at the farmgate.
“This shift has resulted in a total liquidity vacuum where Licensed Buying Companies (LBCs) are forced to borrow from local banks at interest rates as high as 29.8 per cent to cover 60 per cent of purchases,” said Vitus Dzah, General Secretary of LICOBAG. “This delay in payment has created a dangerous bottleneck” .
Dr. Forson confirmed reports of “farmers detaining purchasing clerks over unpaid cocoa” and acknowledged that the crisis has forced many farming families to limit meals and withdraw children from school.
Price Cut and Farmer Cushion
Effective Thursday, the Producer Price Review Committee slashed the producer price from 58,000 cedis per tonne to 41,392 cedis per tonne—a 28.6 percent reduction. Farmers will now receive 2,587 cedis per bag.
In a deliberate political gesture, Dr. Forson insisted farmers receive 90 percent of the achieved gross FOB price of $4,200 per tonne, far exceeding the 70 percent minimum floor proposed in upcoming legislation.
“Unfortunately in the past when prices of world market price of cocoa moved up, unfortunately the cocoa farmer did not benefit,” the Minister said. “Never again should this practice be allowed to persist. Never again.”
Regional Contagion
Ghana is not alone. Neighbouring Ivory Coast announced on January 20 it would purchase 123,000 tonnes of unsold cocoa from production zones for 280 billion CFA francs ($508 million) . The two countries, which together produce nearly 60 percent of the world’s cocoa, face synchronized crises stemming from the same price collapse.
Path Forward
The government’s strategy hinges on redirecting the stranded beans to domestic processors. Cabinet has directed that the remainder of the 2025/26 crop be allocated entirely for local processing, with a mandated minimum of 50 percent domestic processing from next season.
Whether domestic processors have the capacity—and working capital—to absorb 70,000 tonnes of expensive beans in the coming weeks remains an open question.
Business
U.S. Offers Tax Refunds to 32 African Exporters Under New AGOA Framework
U.S. President Donald Trump has signed a one-year extension of the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA), providing immediate duty-free access and retroactive tax refunds to qualifying exporters in 32 sub-Saharan African countries — but only through December 31, 2026.
The short-term reauthorization, enacted in early February 2026, ends the uncertainty that followed the original September 30, 2025, expiration.
African businesses that paid extra duties since October 2025 can now claim full refunds, delivering quick cash-flow relief to garment makers, horticulture exporters, and other AGOA beneficiaries.
However, the 11-month window — far shorter than previous multi-year renewals — has raised concerns across the continent.
The U.S. has explicitly tied the brief extension to expectations of “reciprocal market access,” signaling that future eligibility could hinge on African governments opening their markets more fully to American goods and services.
Key implications for Ghana and other AGOA-eligible nations include:
- Immediate duty-free treatment for over 1,800 product lines (textiles, apparel, agricultural goods, handicrafts, etc.) retroactive to October 2025
- A clear 2026 deadline for negotiations on a longer-term or replacement agreement
- Heightened U.S. scrutiny of trade barriers, intellectual property protections, and investment rules
- Continued exclusion of certain countries (e.g., those failing eligibility criteria such as human rights or rule-of-law benchmarks)
Trade analysts describe the move as a deliberate shift toward conditional, shorter-duration trade preferences — a departure from the bipartisan, decade-long renewals that characterized AGOA since its launch in 2000. The one-year horizon gives Washington leverage to push for concessions while giving African exporters a temporary lifeline.
For Ghana — one of AGOA’s most consistent users — the extension secures continued duty-free access for apparel, shea butter products, cashews, and other exports to the U.S. market. Yet exporters and policymakers now face a compressed timeline to prepare for potentially tougher talks in 2026.
The African Union, ECOWAS, and individual governments have welcomed the refund mechanism but expressed concern over the uncertainty.
Many are already calling for a permanent, rules-based successor framework that better aligns with AfCFTA goals and Africa’s industrialisation ambitions.
As the clock ticks toward the end of 2026, the coming months will test whether AGOA’s legacy can evolve into a more balanced, reciprocal partnership — or whether both sides will need to chart an entirely new course for U.S.-Africa trade relations.
Business
Silent Turf War Intensifies: U.S. Extends AGOA, China Responds with Zero-Tariff Access to 53 African Nations
In a quiet but unmistakable escalation of economic influence across Africa, China has agreed to provide zero-tariff access to its massive market for 53 African countries.
The move comes just weeks after the United States extended the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA) for another decade.
The announcement, reported by Business Insider Africa on February 13, 2026, follows years of diplomatic and commercial positioning by both superpowers. Beijing’s move effectively removes tariffs on a broad range of African exports — including agricultural products, minerals, textiles, and light manufactures — giving African producers significantly improved access to the world’s second-largest consumer market.
The decision comes after sustained lobbying by African governments and the African Union, as well as China’s own strategic interest in securing long-term raw material supplies, diversifying trade partners away from Western markets, and deepening political goodwill across the continent.
While no official Chinese government statement has yet detailed the exact product coverage or implementation timeline, analysts interpret the agreement as a direct counterweight to AGOA’s renewal (signed into law by President Biden in late 2025 and extended through 2035).
AGOA provides duty-free access to the U.S. market for over 1,800 products from eligible sub-Saharan African countries, but is conditional on meeting governance, human rights, and market-access criteria — conditions that have led to periodic exclusions (most recently Eswatini in 2024).
China’s zero-tariff offer appears unconditional and broader in scope, covering nearly the entire continent (excluding only a handful of nations without diplomatic relations with Beijing). The timing is widely seen in diplomatic circles as a deliberate signal: Beijing is positioning itself as the more reliable, less conditional partner for African trade and development finance.
For Ghana and other resource-rich West African nations, the dual developments create both opportunity and strategic complexity. Zero-tariff access to China could accelerate exports of cocoa, shea butter, cashew nuts, bauxite, manganese, and emerging value-added products. At the same time, AGOA remains vital for apparel, automotive components, and light manufactures destined for the U.S. market.
Trade experts caution that realizing the full benefits will require African governments to address supply-side constraints: logistics bottlenecks, quality certification, meeting sanitary/phytosanitary standards, and scaling up industrial processing capacity.
Neither Washington nor Beijing has publicly spoken about the moves as competitive, but analysts and diplomats widely view them as part of a long-term, largely silent contest for economic primacy and political influence in Africa — a resource-rich continent whose population is projected to reach 2.5 billion by 2050.
Business
Fearless Fund Expands to Africa, Launches Microfinance Fund in Ghana to Empower Women Entrepreneurs
Fearless Fund, the U.S.-based venture capital firm dedicated to investing in women of color, has officially expanded into Africa with the launch of a dedicated microfinance fund in Ghana.
The announcement, made on February 6, 2026, marks the organisation’s first major step onto the continent and aims to provide accessible capital, mentorship, and business support to women-led micro and small enterprises.
The Ghana Microfinance Fund will offer low-interest loans, grants, and non-financial support (including financial literacy training, digital skills workshops, and market access connections) to women entrepreneurs in underserved communities. Initial focus areas include agriculture, retail, fashion, beauty, food processing, and digital services — sectors where women dominate but often lack formal financing.
Fearless Fund CEO Arian Simone stated: “Ghana is a gateway for our African expansion. We see incredible potential in Ghanaian women who are building businesses against significant odds. This fund is designed to remove financial barriers and help them scale sustainably.”
The initiative partners with local microfinance institutions, women’s cooperatives, and Ghanaian fintech players to ensure wide reach, particularly in rural and peri-urban areas.
It also aligns with Ghana’s national agenda to promote financial inclusion, youth and women entrepreneurship, and economic empowerment under the “Reset Ghana” framework.
The launch comes amid growing recognition of the financing gap for women entrepreneurs in Africa, where women own over 40% of micro and small businesses but receive less than 10% of formal credit. Fearless Fund plans to scale the model across other African markets in the coming years.
The fund’s Ghana rollout is expected to disburse its first round of capital in Q2 2026, with applications opening soon through partner institutions.
-
Ghana News2 days agoGhana News Live Updates: Catch up on all the Breaking News Today (Feb. 15, 2026)
-
Ghana News14 hours agoGhana News Live Updates: Catch up on all the Breaking News Today (Feb. 16, 2026)
-
Ghana News2 days agoGhana is Going After Russian Man Who Secretly Films Women During Intimate Encounters
-
Business1 day agoSilent Turf War Intensifies: U.S. Extends AGOA, China Responds with Zero-Tariff Access to 53 African Nations
-
Taste GH2 days agoOkro Stew: How to Prepare the Ghanaian Stew That Stretches, Survives, and Still Feels Like Home
-
Ghana News1 day agoThe Largest Floating Solar Farm Project in West Africa is in Ghana: Seldomly Talked About But Still Powering Homes
-
Ghana News14 hours agoSeveral Ghanaian Traders Feared Dead in the Brutal Terrorist Attack in Burkina Faso
-
Ghana News1 day agoGhana Actively Liaising with Burkinabè Authorities After Terrorists Attack Ghanaian Tomato Traders in Burkina Faso
