Connect with us

Business

Trump Moves to Block U.S. States From Regulating AI, Triggering Global Concern

Published

on

Image by DC Studio on Freepik. Insert: Donald Trump

President Donald Trump says he will sign an executive order barring U.S. states from creating or enforcing their own artificial intelligence regulations.

The sweeping move would centralize AI rule-making in Washington and sharply curb state-level oversight.

The announcement, made Monday, December 8, 2025, on Trump’s Truth Social account, immediately intensified a national and global debate over who should police AI technologies that now shape everything from healthcare decisions and hiring processes to policing tools and children’s online experiences.

“There must be only ONE Rulebook if we are going to continue to lead in AI,” Trump wrote. “We are beating ALL COUNTRIES… but that won’t last long if we are going to have 50 States… involved in RULES and the APPROVAL PROCESS.”

The order would empower the federal government to challenge and override existing state laws on AI safety, algorithmic discrimination, and deepfakes — including legislation passed by Democrats and Republicans alike.

State Laws in Trouble as White House Pushes National Power

The draft order directs the U.S. attorney general to establish an AI Litigation Task Force tasked with striking down state-level rules and replacing them with Trump’s more relaxed federal framework, according to documents reviewed by CNN.

The move aligns closely with Silicon Valley giants, including OpenAI CEO Sam Altman, who have complained that navigating a patchwork of state laws threatens innovation and America’s competitiveness in the global AI race.

But the proposal has provoked fierce resistance from academics, safety groups, tech workers, and state lawmakers who argue that states have filled a void left by Congress — and that removing them from the equation will expose consumers, workers, and children to increased risk.

A New Battle in America’s AI War

Artificial intelligence remains lightly regulated in the United States. In the absence of sweeping federal laws, several states — including California, Colorado, and Illinois — have passed rules targeting issues such as:

  • Algorithmic bias in hiring
  • AI-generated deepfakes and misinformation
  • Child protection and exposure to sexualized content
  • Data privacy and surveillance practices

Those efforts may soon be wiped away.

Trump’s order argues that uniform national rules are essential to “enhance America’s global AI dominance.” Critics say it’s a blueprint for industry self-governance.

Pushback From Both Sides of the Political Spectrum

Opposition has been widespread — and unusually bipartisan.

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis blasted the plan last month, calling it “federal government overreach.”

“Stripping states of jurisdiction to regulate AI is a subsidy to Big Tech,” DeSantis said, warning that states would lose the ability to protect citizens from political censorship, child-targeted harms, intellectual property violations, and energy-draining data centers.

Hundreds of organizations — including labor unions, tech worker groups, university researchers, consumer safety nonprofits, and child-protection advocates — have sent letters to Congress urging lawmakers to stop the White House plan.

Sacha Haworth, Executive Director of The Tech Oversight Project, warned that the move could cement corporate control over the future of AI.

“We’re in a fight to determine who will benefit from AI: Big Tech CEOs or the American people,” Haworth said. “We cannot afford a decade with Big Tech in the driver’s seat.”

Trump Administration Already Seeking Workarounds

Congress previously blocked an attempt by Republicans to ban state AI regulation, voting overwhelmingly to remove a 10-year moratorium buried inside a Trump-backed domestic policy bill.

But the administration has continued pushing in other ways, including a Silicon Valley-friendly AI plan released weeks later, emphasizing deregulation as key to national competitiveness.

National Economic Council Director Kevin Hassett said Monday that Trump had reviewed “something close to a final” version of the executive order.

“Some states want to regulate these companies within an inch of their lives,” Hassett told CNBC. “This executive order… is going to make it clear that there’s one set of rules for AI companies in the U.S.”

Global Stakes for a Global Technology

Trump’s move is expected to resonate far beyond U.S. borders. With China, the European Union, and African nations developing their own AI regimes, the question of how the U.S. regulates — or fails to regulate — the technology has become a global concern.

For countries like Ghana and others across Africa increasingly adopting AI tools in medicine, education, and governance, America’s decision could push innovation forward — or export under-regulated technologies with potential risks.

Business

U.S. Offers Tax Refunds to African 32 Exporters Under New AGOA Framework

Published

on

U.S. President Donald Trump has signed a one-year extension of the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA), providing immediate duty-free access and retroactive tax refunds to qualifying exporters in 32 sub-Saharan African countries — but only through December 31, 2026.

The short-term reauthorization, enacted in early February 2026, ends the uncertainty that followed the original September 30, 2025, expiration.

African businesses that paid extra duties since October 2025 can now claim full refunds, delivering quick cash-flow relief to garment makers, horticulture exporters, and other AGOA beneficiaries.

However, the 11-month window — far shorter than previous multi-year renewals — has raised concerns across the continent.

The U.S. has explicitly tied the brief extension to expectations of “reciprocal market access,” signaling that future eligibility could hinge on African governments opening their markets more fully to American goods and services.

Key implications for Ghana and other AGOA-eligible nations include:

  • Immediate duty-free treatment for over 1,800 product lines (textiles, apparel, agricultural goods, handicrafts, etc.) retroactive to October 2025
  • A clear 2026 deadline for negotiations on a longer-term or replacement agreement
  • Heightened U.S. scrutiny of trade barriers, intellectual property protections, and investment rules
  • Continued exclusion of certain countries (e.g., those failing eligibility criteria such as human rights or rule-of-law benchmarks)

Trade analysts describe the move as a deliberate shift toward conditional, shorter-duration trade preferences — a departure from the bipartisan, decade-long renewals that characterized AGOA since its launch in 2000. The one-year horizon gives Washington leverage to push for concessions while giving African exporters a temporary lifeline.

For Ghana — one of AGOA’s most consistent users — the extension secures continued duty-free access for apparel, shea butter products, cashews, and other exports to the U.S. market. Yet exporters and policymakers now face a compressed timeline to prepare for potentially tougher talks in 2026.

The African Union, ECOWAS, and individual governments have welcomed the refund mechanism but expressed concern over the uncertainty.

Many are already calling for a permanent, rules-based successor framework that better aligns with AfCFTA goals and Africa’s industrialisation ambitions.

As the clock ticks toward the end of 2026, the coming months will test whether AGOA’s legacy can evolve into a more balanced, reciprocal partnership — or whether both sides will need to chart an entirely new course for U.S.-Africa trade relations.

Continue Reading

Business

Silent Turf War Intensifies: U.S. Extends AGOA, China Responds with Zero-Tariff Access to 53 African Nations

Published

on

In a quiet but unmistakable escalation of economic influence across Africa, China has agreed to provide zero-tariff access to its massive market for 53 African countries.

The move comes just weeks after the United States extended the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA) for another decade.

The announcement, reported by Business Insider Africa on February 13, 2026, follows years of diplomatic and commercial positioning by both superpowers. Beijing’s move effectively removes tariffs on a broad range of African exports — including agricultural products, minerals, textiles, and light manufactures — giving African producers significantly improved access to the world’s second-largest consumer market.

The decision comes after sustained lobbying by African governments and the African Union, as well as China’s own strategic interest in securing long-term raw material supplies, diversifying trade partners away from Western markets, and deepening political goodwill across the continent.

While no official Chinese government statement has yet detailed the exact product coverage or implementation timeline, analysts interpret the agreement as a direct counterweight to AGOA’s renewal (signed into law by President Biden in late 2025 and extended through 2035).

AGOA provides duty-free access to the U.S. market for over 1,800 products from eligible sub-Saharan African countries, but is conditional on meeting governance, human rights, and market-access criteria — conditions that have led to periodic exclusions (most recently Eswatini in 2024).

China’s zero-tariff offer appears unconditional and broader in scope, covering nearly the entire continent (excluding only a handful of nations without diplomatic relations with Beijing). The timing is widely seen in diplomatic circles as a deliberate signal: Beijing is positioning itself as the more reliable, less conditional partner for African trade and development finance.

For Ghana and other resource-rich West African nations, the dual developments create both opportunity and strategic complexity. Zero-tariff access to China could accelerate exports of cocoa, shea butter, cashew nuts, bauxite, manganese, and emerging value-added products. At the same time, AGOA remains vital for apparel, automotive components, and light manufactures destined for the U.S. market.

Trade experts caution that realizing the full benefits will require African governments to address supply-side constraints: logistics bottlenecks, quality certification, meeting sanitary/phytosanitary standards, and scaling up industrial processing capacity.

Neither Washington nor Beijing has publicly spoken about the moves as competitive, but analysts and diplomats widely view them as part of a long-term, largely silent contest for economic primacy and political influence in Africa — a resource-rich continent whose population is projected to reach 2.5 billion by 2050.

Continue Reading

Business

Fearless Fund Expands to Africa, Launches Microfinance Fund in Ghana to Empower Women Entrepreneurs

Published

on

Fearless Fund, the U.S.-based venture capital firm dedicated to investing in women of color, has officially expanded into Africa with the launch of a dedicated microfinance fund in Ghana.

The announcement, made on February 6, 2026, marks the organisation’s first major step onto the continent and aims to provide accessible capital, mentorship, and business support to women-led micro and small enterprises.

The Ghana Microfinance Fund will offer low-interest loans, grants, and non-financial support (including financial literacy training, digital skills workshops, and market access connections) to women entrepreneurs in underserved communities. Initial focus areas include agriculture, retail, fashion, beauty, food processing, and digital services — sectors where women dominate but often lack formal financing.

Fearless Fund CEO Arian Simone stated: “Ghana is a gateway for our African expansion. We see incredible potential in Ghanaian women who are building businesses against significant odds. This fund is designed to remove financial barriers and help them scale sustainably.”

The initiative partners with local microfinance institutions, women’s cooperatives, and Ghanaian fintech players to ensure wide reach, particularly in rural and peri-urban areas.

It also aligns with Ghana’s national agenda to promote financial inclusion, youth and women entrepreneurship, and economic empowerment under the “Reset Ghana” framework.

The launch comes amid growing recognition of the financing gap for women entrepreneurs in Africa, where women own over 40% of micro and small businesses but receive less than 10% of formal credit. Fearless Fund plans to scale the model across other African markets in the coming years.

The fund’s Ghana rollout is expected to disburse its first round of capital in Q2 2026, with applications opening soon through partner institutions.

Continue Reading

Trending