Business
Trump Moves to Block U.S. States From Regulating AI, Triggering Global Concern
President Donald Trump says he will sign an executive order barring U.S. states from creating or enforcing their own artificial intelligence regulations.
The sweeping move would centralize AI rule-making in Washington and sharply curb state-level oversight.
The announcement, made Monday, December 8, 2025, on Trump’s Truth Social account, immediately intensified a national and global debate over who should police AI technologies that now shape everything from healthcare decisions and hiring processes to policing tools and children’s online experiences.
“There must be only ONE Rulebook if we are going to continue to lead in AI,” Trump wrote. “We are beating ALL COUNTRIES… but that won’t last long if we are going to have 50 States… involved in RULES and the APPROVAL PROCESS.”
The order would empower the federal government to challenge and override existing state laws on AI safety, algorithmic discrimination, and deepfakes — including legislation passed by Democrats and Republicans alike.
State Laws in Trouble as White House Pushes National Power
The draft order directs the U.S. attorney general to establish an AI Litigation Task Force tasked with striking down state-level rules and replacing them with Trump’s more relaxed federal framework, according to documents reviewed by CNN.
The move aligns closely with Silicon Valley giants, including OpenAI CEO Sam Altman, who have complained that navigating a patchwork of state laws threatens innovation and America’s competitiveness in the global AI race.
But the proposal has provoked fierce resistance from academics, safety groups, tech workers, and state lawmakers who argue that states have filled a void left by Congress — and that removing them from the equation will expose consumers, workers, and children to increased risk.
A New Battle in America’s AI War
Artificial intelligence remains lightly regulated in the United States. In the absence of sweeping federal laws, several states — including California, Colorado, and Illinois — have passed rules targeting issues such as:
- Algorithmic bias in hiring
- AI-generated deepfakes and misinformation
- Child protection and exposure to sexualized content
- Data privacy and surveillance practices
Those efforts may soon be wiped away.
Trump’s order argues that uniform national rules are essential to “enhance America’s global AI dominance.” Critics say it’s a blueprint for industry self-governance.
Pushback From Both Sides of the Political Spectrum
Opposition has been widespread — and unusually bipartisan.
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis blasted the plan last month, calling it “federal government overreach.”
“Stripping states of jurisdiction to regulate AI is a subsidy to Big Tech,” DeSantis said, warning that states would lose the ability to protect citizens from political censorship, child-targeted harms, intellectual property violations, and energy-draining data centers.
Hundreds of organizations — including labor unions, tech worker groups, university researchers, consumer safety nonprofits, and child-protection advocates — have sent letters to Congress urging lawmakers to stop the White House plan.
Sacha Haworth, Executive Director of The Tech Oversight Project, warned that the move could cement corporate control over the future of AI.
“We’re in a fight to determine who will benefit from AI: Big Tech CEOs or the American people,” Haworth said. “We cannot afford a decade with Big Tech in the driver’s seat.”
Trump Administration Already Seeking Workarounds
Congress previously blocked an attempt by Republicans to ban state AI regulation, voting overwhelmingly to remove a 10-year moratorium buried inside a Trump-backed domestic policy bill.
But the administration has continued pushing in other ways, including a Silicon Valley-friendly AI plan released weeks later, emphasizing deregulation as key to national competitiveness.
National Economic Council Director Kevin Hassett said Monday that Trump had reviewed “something close to a final” version of the executive order.
“Some states want to regulate these companies within an inch of their lives,” Hassett told CNBC. “This executive order… is going to make it clear that there’s one set of rules for AI companies in the U.S.”
Global Stakes for a Global Technology
Trump’s move is expected to resonate far beyond U.S. borders. With China, the European Union, and African nations developing their own AI regimes, the question of how the U.S. regulates — or fails to regulate — the technology has become a global concern.
For countries like Ghana and others across Africa increasingly adopting AI tools in medicine, education, and governance, America’s decision could push innovation forward — or export under-regulated technologies with potential risks.
Business
Africa’s Richest Man Warns of Looming Port Crisis: ‘We Are Running Short of Ports in West and Central Africa’
Aliko Dangote urges private investment as delays in Côte d’Ivoire stretch to three weeks, announces plans for Africa’s largest seaport
LAGOS – Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangote, has issued a stark warning about a critical infrastructure gap affecting both West and Central Africa: a severe shortage of ports capable of handling the region’s growing maritime trade.
Speaking at the Mid-Year Session of the Board of Directors of the Port Management Association of West and Central Africa (PMAWCA) in Lagos, the Nigerian billionaire said the lack of adequate port infrastructure is already causing significant delays, with vessels waiting up to three weeks to discharge goods in some locations.
“My own is actually to continue to encourage you to encourage people to come and invest in ports because, really, we are running short of ports, especially in West and Central Africa,” Dangote told regional port authority leaders.
Three-Week Delays in Côte d’Ivoire
The industrialist offered a stark illustration of the crisis, describing firsthand experience with port congestion on the continent.
“In some areas where we go to discharge our goods, especially in Côte d’Ivoire, I think we wait for three weeks,” he said.
The delays, he suggested, are not merely inconvenient but are actively constraining trade and economic growth across a region that relies heavily on maritime commerce for imports and exports.
A Radical Proposal: Governments Should Not Build Ports
In remarks that may challenge conventional thinking about infrastructure development, Dangote argued that governments have no business building ports. Instead, he called for a fundamental shift in approach.
“The government has no business investing in ports,” he stated. “What you need to do is actually to encourage entrepreneurs to invest heavily so that your own revenues will increase. You should be good at collecting revenues, not building ports.”
Dangoe urged port authorities to become enablers of private sector investment rather than direct developers.
“So, you should encourage the private sector to build its ports,” he added.
Lekki: The Deepest Seaport in Africa
Dangote pointed to the Lekki Free Trade Zone as an example of what private investment can achieve, noting that the Managing Director of the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) has been encouraging his company to build there.
“But I can assure you that the Lekki Free Trade Zone will be the largest, deepest seaport in Africa. Not in West Africa, in Africa,” he said.
The scale of the ambition reflects Dangote’s broader pivot toward logistics as a core business. He revealed that his conglomerate is now treating ports as a strategic priority rather than a peripheral operation.
Expansion to East Africa
Dangote also announced that the Dangote Group is expanding its port ambitions beyond West Africa, with a new project underway in East Africa.
“We just concluded discussions two days ago with the President of Tanzania. We also want to build another port,” he said.
The move signals a continental strategy for the Nigerian billionaire, who aims to position his company as Africa’s largest supplier of logistics going forward.
From Operations to Industry
“Now, we are taking ports as our own business. Before, we were just doing it as part of our operations, but right now, we will be the biggest African supplier of logistics going forward,” Dangote said.
The announcement comes amid growing recognition across the continent that port infrastructure has not kept pace with trade volumes.
West and Central Africa’s ports, many of which were built decades ago, face increasing congestion as regional economies grow and intra-African trade expands under the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA).
Whether Dangote’s call for private-sector-led port development will be heeded by regional governments remains to be seen. But his message was unambiguous: the continent cannot afford to wait.
Business
Ghana Stock Exchange Named Best Performing in Africa
The Ghana Stock Exchange has been ranked as the best-performing stock market in Africa for 2024, and early data from the first quarter of 2025 shows it remains on the same trajectory, according to a high-level delegation from Ghana’s Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
The disclosure was made during a courtesy visit to Ghana’s Ambassador to the United States, Victor Emmanuel Smith, led by SEC Deputy Director-General Mensah Thompson.
The meeting, which took place in Washington, D.C., focused on the exchange’s remarkable performance, the role of the diaspora in national development, and the growing opportunities for investors eyeing Ghana’s economic recovery.
“The Ghana Stock Exchange was the best in Africa in 2024, and this year, even within the first quarter, the exchange remains the best performing in Africa,” Thompson told the Ambassador.
He attributed the strong performance to declining inflation, improving economic stability, and lower interest rates—conditions that have made Ghana’s capital markets increasingly attractive to investors seeking stronger returns than those available in more saturated markets.
Ambassador Calls for Diaspora and Foreign Capital
Ambassador Smith welcomed the news and used the platform to make a direct appeal to wealthy Ghanaians abroad and foreign investors. He argued that channelling diaspora resources and “American big pockets” back into Ghana would create jobs and reduce the economic pressure that drives many young Ghanaians to seek opportunities overseas.
“We can partner with some of these American big pockets and take advantage of the opportunities we are offering back home,” Smith said.
He revealed that his office, working alongside the Ghana Investment Promotion Centre (GIPC), is actively organising investor presentations and forums to showcase Ghana’s investment climate. He urged the SEC delegation to participate in all business engagements organised by the Embassy.
“My emphasis is on taking Ghanaians with you, encouraging those in the diaspora to invest and return home to help build the country,” he added.
Licensed Platforms and Investor Protection
Dorothy Yeboah-Asiamah, the SEC’s Head of International Relations, addressed the growing interest among Ghanaians abroad in investing in local securities. She urged potential investors to use only licensed and regulated platforms to protect their funds and strengthen overall market confidence.
“We have licensed brokers and investment schemes that allow people abroad to safely invest in securities in Ghana, and we want more members of the diaspora to take advantage of these opportunities,” she said.
The SEC delegation to Washington also included Peter McNamara (Policy Research Unit), Emmanuel Darko (Broker Dealers and Advisers), Richard Dusi (Head of Fintech and Innovation), and Marilyn Lamiokor-Mills (Board Secretariat).
The visit underscores Ghana’s aggressive push to position itself as a premier investment destination in Africa, leveraging its capital markets as a key pillar of economic transformation.
Business
From Economist to Cocoa Farmer: Meet The Woman Building a $1 Million Agri-Chocolate Dream in Ghana
An economist-turned-farm owner is pulling back the curtain on her ambitious plan to build a $1 million+ farm ecosystem in Ghana, one that aims to “change the narrative of the African farmer.”
In a series of candid and often humorous posts on Instagram, Dr. Nana Adowaa Boateng shows the world how she is navigating the very real, unfiltered chaos of rural agribusiness.
The entrepreneur, whose journey is documented under the handle @thetalkingdrumchocolate, and under themes like “The Curious Case of a Bougie African Economist…Turned Confused Farmer,“ is challenging the polished perception of modern farming. From negotiating land purchases under cashew trees to paying for farmland with cash in a plastic bag, her story is as unconventional as it is refreshingly honest.
“I make chocolate not in a factory but in a kitchen island with a view,” she writes, juxtaposing the “soft life” dream of air conditioning and iced caramel lattes with the gritty reality of drying cocoa beans beside her swimming pool, and questioning her life decisions.
A System in Progress
The posts reveal a multi-layered ambition. While one image shows the tagline, “I am building a $1M+ farm ecosystem in Ghana. You’re just seeing it early. Follow the journey to see how it turns out,” another points out that this is more than a personal venture: “But it’s also giving – a system in progress to change the narrative of the African farmer.”
However, the journey is far from typical. The farmer admits she was never fully ready for farm life—arriving at the property not in a pickup truck but in a Mercedes—while openly questioning her decisions with hashtags like #farmlifeisnotthesoftlife and #chaaai. Yet, that confusion is presented as a strength: “Because nothing about an economist turned farm owner turned chocolate maker is normal.”

As interest grows in locally sourced, artisanal chocolate and value-added agricultural exports from West Africa, this economist’s leap of faith stands as both a cautionary tale and an inspiration.
She is not waiting for the perfect conditions, she is building, one cash-filled plastic bag and one dried cocoa bean at a time, while inviting the world to watch.
Dr. Boateng is also a writer and international development specialist with experience across South Africa, Côte d’Ivoire, Nigeria, Ghana, the US, and France.
-
Global Update2 days agoJust Days Away, GMet Warns Heavy Rains to Intensify in Southern Ghana by Late May
-
Ghana News23 hours agoTikToker Arrested Over Death Threats Against President Mahama, GN Bank’s License Restored, and Other Big Stories in Ghana Today
-
Ghana News23 hours agoXenophobia in South Africa: Ablakwa’s Foreign Ministry Faces First Major Test
-
Ghana News22 hours agoEbola Risk Low, but Ghanaians Told to Wash Hands and Avoid Mass Gatherings
-
Ghana News2 days agoVaccine Institute Boss Sodzi-Tettey Reveals How Mahama Turned $50M Into a Global Health Sovereignty Movement
-
Ghana News24 hours agoNewspaper Headlines Today: Friday, May 22, 2026
-
Ghana News1 day agoMore Than 800 Ghanaians Seek to Flee South Africa as Xenophobic Attacks Intensify
-
Opinion22 hours agoSahel on fire: Why Ghana and ECOWAS cannot ignore the collapse of the AES
