Africa Watch
U.S. Deploys Military Team to Nigeria in First Ground Presence
In a significant development with implications for regional security, the United States has deployed a small contingent of military personnel to Nigeria.
The deployment marks the first confirmed presence of U.S. boots on Nigerian soil under the Trump administration. The move comes amid growing concern over violent extremist groups in West Africa and reflects deepening security cooperation between Washington and Abuja.
The deployment was officially announced on Tuesday, February 3, 2026, by General Dagvin R. M. Anderson, commander of the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM), during a press briefing. Anderson said the deployment followed high-level discussions with Nigerian President Bola Tinubu in Rome in late 2025, where both leaders agreed on the need for enhanced collaboration against shared terrorist threats.
“This has led to increased collaboration between our nations, including a small U.S. team that brings unique capabilities from the United States to augment what Nigeria has been doing for several years,” General Anderson said, without specifying the number of personnel or detailing their precise mission.
Mission Focus and Context
U.S. officials say the deployment is part of a counter-terrorism partnership, aimed at supporting Nigeria’s ongoing efforts against jihadist groups such as Boko Haram and the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP). Intelligence gathering, surveillance, reconnaissance, and tactical coordination are expected to be among the key areas where U.S. forces can complement Nigerian operations, according to defence analysts and AFRICOM statements.
The deployment follows a series of earlier U.S. actions in Nigeria, including airstrikes ordered by President Donald Trump on December 25, 2025, which targeted Islamic State–linked militant positions in Sokoto State. Those strikes represented a shift toward a more assertive U.S. stance in the region, and the presence of troops on the ground is widely seen as a continuation of that trend, albeit on a smaller, more specialised scale.
Nigeria’s Role and Sovereignty Concerns
Nigerian authorities have publicly acknowledged the presence of U.S. personnel but have not disclosed details about their size, location, or operational activities. Defence Minister Christopher Musa confirmed that the deployment is underway, emphasising the mutual agreement between the governments on increasing cooperation. While Abuja has welcomed assistance in confronting security challenges, officials are careful to underscore Nigeria’s sovereignty and leadership in directing its own defence operations.
The timing of the deployment comes amid persistent and complex security threats in Nigeria, including coordinated attacks by extremist groups on villages, churches, and civilian targets in multiple states. Such violence has drawn international attention and raised pressure on both Nigeria and its international partners to bolster responses to terrorism and instability.
International and Regional Implications
For Ghana and other African nations, the U.S. deployment in Nigeria signals a heightened level of external involvement in continental security affairs. While U.S. military engagement in Africa is not new — with bases and operations previously established in other regions — boots on the ground in Nigeria represent a more visible stage of cooperation with one of the continent’s most populous and geopolitically significant states.
Security analysts note that deeper military collaboration could strengthen Nigeria’s capacity to counter insurgent movements but may also generate debates about the long-term implications of foreign military presence in African states. Observers point out that such deployments must balance assistance with respect for national sovereignty and the political dynamics within host countries.
What Comes Next
Details on the duration of the U.S. deployment, its mandate, and its operational footprint remain limited. Both AFRICOM and Nigerian authorities have so far declined to release specifics, leaving open questions about the extent of the mission.
As the situation evolves, global audiences will be watching how this new phase of U.S.–Nigeria security cooperation affects broader counter-terrorism efforts in West Africa and the region’s diplomatic landscape.
Africa Watch
Analyst Warns AES Collapse Fuels Arms Flow and Jihadist ‘Creep’ Into Ghana
ACCRA – The collapse of military-led states in the Sahel is fueling arms trafficking and allowing jihadist networks to creep southward toward Ghana’s northern border, according to a sobering new analysis.
The analysis authored by Joseph McCarthy, an analyst and researcher specializing in governance, security, and political transitions in the region, warns that the self-styled Alliance of Sahel States (AES), comprising Mali, Burkina Faso, and Niger, has failed to contain extremism despite initial promises by the juntas that seized power in Bamako (2020), Ouagadougou (2022), and Niamey (2023).
Instead, the security situation has deteriorated dramatically.
‘State Presence Is Shrinking’
McCarthy notes that large portions of northern and eastern Burkina Faso are now either under jihadist influence or violently contested. In Mali, the regions of Taoudéni, Timbuktu, Ménaka, Gao, and much of Mopti remain outside effective state authority. While Niger retains a stronger foothold around Niamey and Maradi, insecurity is steadily creeping into Diffa, Tahoua, and Agadez.
“The trajectory across all three countries is identical: state presence is shrinking; militant mobility corridors are expanding southward,” McCarthy writes.
The analyst points to coordinated attacks across Mali in April 2026, striking Mopti, Gao, Kidal, Sévaré, and approach routes to Bamako simultaneously, as confirmation that Jama’at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin (JNIM) and Islamic State affiliates are growing more sophisticated, more coordinated, and operationally bolder.
The Threat to Ghana
While Ghana has not yet experienced large-scale jihadist violence, McCarthy argues the country is not insulated from what is coming.
“The expansion of JNIM and IS-affiliated operations into southern Burkina Faso has intensified arms trafficking, infiltration networks, and radicalization risks along Ghana’s northern border,” he writes.
McCarthy specifically highlights the Bawku conflict, rooted in ethnic and chieftaincy tensions, as “precisely the kind of local instability that extremist organizations have exploited elsewhere to gain a foothold.”
Ghana’s Security Response
According to the analyst, Ghanaian security agencies have responded with Operation Conquered Fist, expanded border surveillance, joint intelligence operations, and counter-extremism programs.
McCarthy describes these efforts as “reflecting a growing, sober recognition that this crisis is no longer distant. It is at the door.”
Broader Regional Warning
The analyst warns that the Sahel has become a sanctuary where extremist organizations regroup, recruit, train, and launch operations southward into coastal West Africa. He notes that Benin has already suffered deadly attacks near Pendjari National Park, Côte d’Ivoire continues fortifying its northern frontier following the Grand-Bassam massacre, and Togo has seen mounting infiltration pressure.
A Lesson Learned at Enormous Cost
McCarthy draws a stark conclusion from the AES experience: no country defeats a transnational insurgency through isolationist nationalism or militarized governance alone.
“Security and development are inseparable,” he writes. “Roads, schools, healthcare, agriculture, jobs, and functioning local governance are as essential to counterterrorism as soldiers and weapons. Where states are absent, extremists fill the space.”
He urges Ghana and the wider ECOWAS community not to treat the Sahel as someone else’s problem, warning that “West Africa cannot afford to learn that lesson twice.”
Joseph McCarthy is an analyst and researcher specializing in governance, security, and political transitions in the Sahel. The views expressed in his opinion article are his own.
Africa Watch
Full Itinerary of President Mahama’s High-Level Engagements at the Africa Forward Summit in Nairobi
The President of the Republic of Ghana and African Union (AU) Champion for African Financial Institutions, John Dramani Mahama, has arrived in Nairobi, Kenya, to participate in the Africa Forward Summit – a high-level France-Africa partnership meeting convened by French President Emmanuel Macron.
The summit has brought together African Heads of State, global business leaders, and international partners to foster collaboration on sustainable development, economic resilience, and global cooperation. President Mahama’s presence underscores Ghana’s active role in shaping continental policy on finance, industrialisation, and health.
Below is the detailed itinerary of President Mahama’s engagements during his working visit to Nairobi.
Day 1: Arrival and Opening of Summit
Tuesday, Morning Session – Green Industrialisation and Energy Transition
President Mahama will join a high-level discussion on Green Industrialisation and Energy Transition. This session aims to chart a practical path for Africa’s industrial growth while simultaneously addressing the urgent challenges of the global climate crisis. The discussion will explore how African nations can leapfrog to cleaner energy systems without sacrificing development targets.
Tuesday, Midday – Working Lunch on Reform of the International Financial Architecture
Reflecting his strategic role as the AU Champion for African Financial Institutions, President Mahama will participate in a working lunch centered on the Reform of the International Financial Architecture. This discussion will focus specifically on:
- Improving African countries’ access to sustainable financing.
- Ensuring that the global financial system becomes more equitable.
- Making international financial institutions more responsive to the continent’s unique development needs.
Tuesday, Afternoon – Co-Chairing the Round Table on Health
President Mahama, who is leading Ghana’s domestic Accra Reset Initiative on healthcare transformation, will co-chair a Round Table on Health themed: “Rethinking global health and building resilient national health systems.” This engagement will highlight strategies for strengthening health systems across Africa to withstand future pandemics and health emergencies.
Tuesday, Late Afternoon – Side Meetings and Bilateral Engagements
On the sidelines of the summit, President Mahama is scheduled to hold several high-profile bilateral meetings. These include talks with:
- H.E. António Guterres – Secretary-General of the United Nations. Discussions will focus on global cooperation and multilateral support for Africa’s development agenda.
- Kristalina Georgieva – Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF). The meeting will centre on economic stability, fiscal policy, and Ghana’s ongoing reforms.
- Alvaro Lario – President of the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD). Talks will address food security, agricultural financing, and rural development in Ghana and across Africa.
Tuesday, Evening – Departure
President Mahama is expected to leave Nairobi in the evening and return to Accra, concluding his working visit to Kenya.
Summary of Presidential Itinerary
| Time | Engagement |
|---|---|
| Morning | High-level discussion: Green Industrialisation & Energy Transition |
| Midday | Working lunch: Reform of International Financial Architecture |
| Afternoon | Co-chair Round Table on Health: Rethinking global health systems |
| Late Afternoon | Bilateral meetings: UN Secretary-General, IMF MD, IFAD President |
| Evening | Departure from Nairobi, return to Accra |
Source: Richard Aniagyei, Information Services Department
Africa Watch
Ramaphosa Condemns South African Xenophobic Attacks, Earning Ghana’s Praise
South African President Cyril Ramaphosa has strongly condemned the recent wave of violent protests and criminal acts targeting foreign nationals in parts of the country.
Ramaphosa stated that such actions do not represent the views of the South African people nor the policy of his government.
In a post on X (formerly Twitter) dated May 11, 2026, titled “From the Desk of the President,” Ramaphosa directly addressed the nation, saying:
“The recent violent protests and criminal acts directed at foreign nationals in parts of our country do not represent the views of South Africa’s people nor reflect our government’s policy.”

The statement, which garnered over 545,000 views, comes amid rising tensions and reports of attacks on immigrant-owned businesses and properties in several South African provinces.
Ghana Responds: A Call for Pan-African Resolve
Reacting to the President’s assurance, Ghana’s Foreign Minister, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, described the statement as “reassuring” and called for a united African front to resolve the crisis. In a post that invoked the legacy of Ghana’s first president, Ablakwa stated:
“We count on your leadership to resolve this. Ghana deeply values the longstanding great and inspiring bilateral relations defined by true solidarity and brotherhood with South Africa. I unrepentantly share in Kwame Nkrumah’s dream — Africa Shall UNITE.”
The diplomatic exchange highlights the deep concern across the continent following the resurgence of xenophobic violence in South Africa, which has historically led to strained relations with other African nations.
Ablakwa’s emphatic reference to Nkrumah’s vision of a unified Africa underscores Ghana’s expectation that South Africa, as a continental economic powerhouse, will protect the principle of free movement and safety for all African citizens within its borders.
As of press time, no official statement has been released by the South African police regarding arrests or specific measures to curb the violence.
-
Ghana News1 day agoTikToker Arrested Over Death Threats Against President Mahama, GN Bank’s License Restored, and Other Big Stories in Ghana Today
-
Ghana News1 day agoXenophobia in South Africa: Ablakwa’s Foreign Ministry Faces First Major Test
-
Ghana News1 day agoNewspaper Headlines Today: Friday, May 22, 2026
-
Ghana News1 day agoEbola Risk Low, but Ghanaians Told to Wash Hands and Avoid Mass Gatherings
-
Ghana News2 days agoMore Than 800 Ghanaians Seek to Flee South Africa as Xenophobic Attacks Intensify
-
Opinion1 day agoSahel on fire: Why Ghana and ECOWAS cannot ignore the collapse of the AES
-
Arts and GH Heritage2 days agoPoetra Asantewa and the Beautiful Contradictions of Accra
-
Health & Wellness2 days agoYour Heart Was Built to Move Modern Life Is Keeping It Still
