Ghana News
Akufo-Addo Pleads With Mahama For ‘Safe Passage’ for Embattled Ken Ofori-Atta
Former Ghanaian President Nana Akufo-Addo is reportedly reaching out to his successor, President John Dramani Mahama, to secure a “safe passage” for his cousin and erstwhile Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta.
Ofori-Atta faces mounting corruption charges that could tarnish Akufo-Addo and the New Patriotic Party’s (NPP) post-tenure image.
According to The Herald newspaper, sources close to the Akufo-Addo family reveal that the outgoing leader, whose administration ended amid economic turmoil and procurement scandals, is “deeply distressed” by the escalating probe into Ofori-Atta’s nearly eight-year stewardship of Ghana’s finances.
Ofori-Atta, once hailed as a “financial wizard” for steering the economy through the COVID-19 crisis, has been ensconced in the United States since February 2025, citing kidney-related health issues. Yet, insiders insist he remains actively engaged in his private ventures, including insurance giant Enterprise Insurance and investment firm Databank Financial Services, while dodging what prosecutors describe as a “fugitive” status back home.
At the heart of the controversy is the Strategic Mobilisation Limited (SML) scandal—a web of alleged procurement manipulations that reportedly drained over GH¢1.4 billion (approximately $92 million) from Ghana’s coffers between 2017 and 2025.
The Office of the Special Prosecutor (OSP), led by Kissi Agyebeng, accuses Ofori-Atta and accomplices of conspiring to award no-bid contracts to SML for dubious audit services in petroleum and mineral sectors, bypassing parliamentary approval and public procurement laws. Payments, prosecutors claim, flowed on “autopilot” without verifiable deliverables, embodying a broader pattern of “self-serving patronage” that Mahama’s incoming administration has vowed to dismantle.
The OSP’s charges against Ofori-Atta—spanning 78 counts including conspiracy, abuse of public office, and causing financial loss to the state—paint a picture of impunity at the highest levels. Extradition proceedings are underway in the U.S., following his failure to heed summons despite a submitted medical note dismissed as insufficient. Last week, an Accra High Court granted bail to five co-accused, including former Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) chiefs, at GH¢50 million each, but suspended new conditions until today, December 15, amid procedural wrangling. Ofori-Atta and two others remain absent, with their next court date set for December 17.
Akufo-Addo’s reported overtures to Mahama, made through backchannels, seek to avert a humiliating airport arrest upon Ofori-Atta’s anticipated return to Kotoka International Airport.
“The family name is at stake,” one source told The Herald newspaper, adding that the ex-president views the allegations as a direct assault on his administration’s legacy.
Yet, Jubilee House officials, speaking anonymously, signal a firm rebuff: Mahama, who campaigned on anti-corruption credentials during his December 7 election victory, insists the judiciary must proceed unimpeded.
“No deals on accountability,” one aide said, echoing sentiments that Ofori-Atta must first refund any ill-gotten gains before entertaining leniency.
This saga extends beyond the SML debacle. The OSP’s net has widened to probe other flashpoints from Ofori-Atta’s tenure, including the abrupt cancellation of a $100 million power grid contract with China’s Beijing Xiao Cheng Technology, questionable spending on the stalled National Cathedral project, and a GH¢1.2 billion ambulance procurement marred by inflated costs and irregular funding from GRA’s tax refund account. Investigations, sparked by public petitions in late 2023, culminated in a presidential directive last month terminating all SML ties—a move that has saved Ghana an estimated $2.8 billion in future liabilities.
For a nation still reeling from debt defaults and inflation spikes under Akufo-Addo’s watch, the Ofori-Atta affair symbolizes the perils of unchecked executive power in emerging democracies.
Globally, it resonates as a cautionary tale for African governance: How do leaders balance familial bonds with public trust? As Mahama’s National Democratic Congress (NDC) administration settles in, promising fiscal reforms and transparency, eyes worldwide—from Washington to Beijing—watch whether Ghana can turn scandal into systemic renewal.
Ghana News
Panic in Sunyani, Accra Floodwaters Submerge Homes, and Other Big Stories in Ghana Today
Welcome to your curated daily briefing. We have gathered the most relevant stories shaping Ghana today to keep you informed. Stay informed!
Accra: Floodwaters submerge homes, roads across various communities
Heavy rains that hit parts of Greater Accra on Friday, May 22, 2026, caused widespread flooding, submerging several homes, displacing residents, and leaving motorists stranded on major roads. A Citi News visit to affected communities showed houses inundated with floodwaters, particularly in Alajo, where several residents were forced out of their homes after the downpour. Other areas including Mallam, Baah Yard, SCC, and Dansoman also recorded varying levels of flooding, resulting in severe disruptions to vehicular and pedestrian movement. Motorists were seen struggling to navigate waterlogged roads, while traffic built up along major routes as commuters attempted to return home.
Residents reported the destruction of household items, electrical appliances, and other personal belongings, with some remaining outside their homes hours after the rains, waiting for floodwaters to recede. Speaking to Citi News, frustrated residents blamed the persistent flooding on poor drainage systems, choked gutters, and poorly constructed drainage channels, claiming that repeated appeals to authorities have yielded little response. They called on city authorities and government to urgently intervene to prevent future occurrences, especially as the rainy season intensifies.
Panic in Sunyani: Chiefs to perform rituals after mystery deaths of two successive headteachers
The Sunyani West Municipality in Ghana’s Bono Region has been thrown into fear and anxiety following the sudden and mysterious deaths of two successive headteachers at the Kobedi AME Zion Basic School. The current headmistress, Madam Gladys Dorlo Batinge, passed away in April 2026 under unusual circumstances, just months after being posted to replace the previous headmaster, who had also died under similar mysterious conditions in September 2025. The tragedy has forced a week-long suspension of all academic activities at the school pending traditional cleansing rituals.
The Queen Mother of Kobedi, Nana Ameyaa Ansu Gyeabour, has disclosed that community members believe the deaths are linked to a spiritual curse invoked by a native associated with the Nzor community, allegedly over claims of financial extortion involving school authorities. The traditional council is actively working to perform necessary customary rites and resolve underlying disputes, while the Krotihene of Kobedi, Nana Korang Amoah Asimpi, has strongly criticised what he describes as inaccurate and unverified media reports that have exacerbated panic. District education authorities are expected to meet with the traditional council this week to assess the psychological readiness of teachers and coordinate a safe reopening of the school.
The party has lost ground – Paul Afoko breaks long silence to launch NPP comeback
Former National Chairman of Ghana’s New Patriotic Party (NPP), Paul Afoko, has emerged from years of self-imposed exile with a stark warning that the party has “lost a lot of ground” due to internal complacency. Addressing a closed-door consultative meeting with the Greater Accra Regional Executive Committee on May 21, 2026, Afoko argued that the party’s electoral machinery has been severely weakened and that denial would only worsen the situation. He recalled the operational blueprint built during his tenure as National Chairman, which he says laid the groundwork for the party’s eventual electoral success, drawing a biblical parallel by stating he “saw the promised land” but was sidelined before victory. Afoko explained that his long silence was a deliberate sacrifice to protect party cohesion, revealing that he was driven underground after defending the new administration early on—only to have his comments twisted by detractors. Despite his absence, he disclosed that he continued to bankroll and support parliamentary candidates. His nationwide consultative tour is widely interpreted as a strategic move to position himself as a unifying elder statesman capable of reconciling internal factions and reclaiming lost political ground.
Ghana to announce World Cup squad on June 1
Ghana Football Association President Kurt Okraku has announced that the Black Stars’ FIFA World Cup squad will be revealed on June 1, 2026, following Ghana’s 2-0 defeat to Mexico in an international friendly. Despite the loss, Okraku declared “objective accomplished” on Facebook, emphasising that the match provided significant stage exposure for the majority of Ghana’s U-23 players, who will soon assemble for Olympic qualifiers, as well as other players who have had limited playing time.
Okraku stressed that the friendly offered a valuable opportunity to test players outside the regular senior national team setup, allowing the technical team to evaluate unfamiliar talents at close range. He acknowledged the challenges of integrating a largely inexperienced squad within a short period but urged supporters to focus on the positives. The GFA President praised the young talents as exceptional players requiring collective nurturing along a designated pathway. Ghana will now face Wales in another friendly as preparations continue toward the World Cup, with anticipation building ahead of the official squad announcement on June 1.
Pastor Accused of Murder: New revelations emerge over death of Scottish wife in Ghana hotel
More than a decade after the death of Scottish woman Charmain Speirs, new revelations have emerged in the case against her Ghanaian husband, pastor Eric Adusah. Charmain, 40, was found dead in a hotel bathtub in Ghana in March 2015, just six months after a whirlwind romance and quickfire wedding. Adusah, the head pastor of the Global Light Revival church who is known as “the prophet” by followers, was charged with murder but released due to lack of evidence. A new BBC podcast series, “Charmain and the Prophet,” features Elma Adams, an 80-year-old devout Christian who was Adusah’s “Scottish mum.” Adams claims Charmain was “on a mission” to discover her husband’s true identity, describing how Charmain appeared distressed, resentful, and financially dependent, with Adusah allegedly insulting her appearance and controlling what she wore.
Other witnesses have told the BBC they saw signs of coercive control and physical abuse. According to a witness statement given to British police, Charmain discovered during her Ghana trip that her husband used another name, was much older than claimed, and may have had another wife in Ghana. On March 16, 2015, the day before she was last seen alive, a witness received a phone call from Charmain’s number during which Adusah was heard shouting and banging a table before the call ended abruptly. Adusah, who now lives in the USA under the name Eric Isaiah Kusi Boateng, did not answer the BBC’s questions about alleged domestic abuse. Friends, including Adams and Anne-Marie Bond, continue to reckon with Charmain’s death, with Adams stating:
“We’ve both been conned, useful idiots… Charmain was used; she was a commodity.”
Ghana News
Ghanaian Students Shine in National Chinese Proficiency Competition
The rhythmic tones of Mandarin echoed through Ghana’s cultural heartland on Thursday, May 21, 2026, as the country’s brightest young linguists gathered for the national final of the 2026 “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competition for Foreign Students.
Held in Kumasi, Ghana’s second-largest city, the event transformed the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) into a vibrant stage for Sino-African camaraderie.
Local students demonstrated not only brilliant language skills but also a deep talent for Chinese calligraphy, music, and traditional dance.
The two-day competition, hosted by the Confucius Institute at KNUST, brought together a diverse cohort of competitors.
University students from KNUST, the University of Cape Coast, and the University of Ghana competed alongside primary, junior high, and senior high school students from various Chinese language programs around the West African nation.
‘Opening a Window to a Beautiful Way of Thinking’
Speaking at the event, Ke Ningli, Chinese director of the Confucius Institute at KNUST, expressed profound joy at the growing enthusiasm for Mandarin.
“To see so many young Ghanaians full of passion for the Chinese language and eager to explore the ancient and modern aspects of China is truly remarkable,” Ke told Xinhua. “This competition connects the hearts and cultures of young people from China and Ghana.”
The event was more than a linguistic test; it was a celebration of the deepening ties between the two nations. Charles Ofosu Marfo, provost of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences at KNUST, praised the courage of the youngest participants.
“By mastering Chinese characters and tones at your age, you are not just learning words; you are also opening a significant window into a rich history, vibrant tradition, and a beautiful way of thinking,” Marfo told the audience.
The Future Facilitators of Partnership
Marfo added that the students represent the future facilitators of the deepening Sino-Ghanaian partnership, driving mutual growth, industrial innovation, and cultural exchange.
As the competition draws to a close on Friday, judges are expected to select a single winner who will represent Ghana on the global stage at the international final later this year.
For the hundreds of students in attendance, the event served as a powerful reminder that in an increasingly interconnected world, language is the ultimate bridge.
Ghana News
Ebola Risk Low, but Ghanaians Told to Wash Hands and Avoid Mass Gatherings
Health Minister assures citizens no cases recorded in West Africa, yet urges preventive measures as WHO declares public health emergency
Ghana’s Health Minister has assured citizens that the risk of Ebola in the country remains low, with no cases recorded in Ghana or anywhere in West Africa, even as he urged Ghanaians to practice rigorous hand hygiene and called on event organizers to provide sanitizing stations at mass gatherings.
In a public address on Thursday, May 21, 2026, Kwabena Mintah Akandoh sought to balance reassurance with vigilance following the World Health Organization’s declaration of Ebola as a public health emergency of international concern last week.
“It is important to note that no cases have been recorded in West Africa, including our dear country, Ghana,” the Minister said. “However, it is said prevention is always better than cure.”
Low Risk, but Not No Risk
Akandoh explained that Ebola is a viral disease spread through direct contact with blood, body fluids, secretions, and contaminated surfaces or materials. He listed key symptoms including sudden fever, headache, muscle pain, vomiting, diarrhea, and unexplained bleeding – urging anyone experiencing these signs to report immediately to the nearest health facility.
Despite the low-risk assessment, the Minister outlined specific precautions for the public.
“Practice good hand hygiene,” he said. “What this means is that we should wash our hands frequently with soap under running water or use hand sanitizers.”
Mass Gatherings in Focus
The Minister paid particular attention to mass gatherings, urging event organizers to provide hand washing stations and hand sanitizers at their venues.
“During mass gatherings, please also practice good hand hygiene,” he said. “And event organizers should provide hand washing stations and hand sanitizers.”
The directive affects religious services, concerts, political rallies, weddings, funerals, and other large public events that remain central to Ghanaian social and cultural life.
Government Preparedness
The Minister concluded by assuring citizens that the government is not relying on luck.
“I would like to use this opportunity to assure everybody that the government is taking all the necessary measures to protect us all,” he said.
While the WHO’s emergency declaration has raised global alarm, Ghanaian authorities are walking a careful line – warning without panicking, preparing without provoking fear.
For now, the message is clear: the risk is low. But washing your hands costs nothing.
-
Ghana News1 day agoTikToker Arrested Over Death Threats Against President Mahama, GN Bank’s License Restored, and Other Big Stories in Ghana Today
-
Ghana News1 day agoXenophobia in South Africa: Ablakwa’s Foreign Ministry Faces First Major Test
-
Ghana News1 day agoNewspaper Headlines Today: Friday, May 22, 2026
-
Ghana News1 day agoEbola Risk Low, but Ghanaians Told to Wash Hands and Avoid Mass Gatherings
-
Ghana News2 days agoMore Than 800 Ghanaians Seek to Flee South Africa as Xenophobic Attacks Intensify
-
Opinion1 day agoSahel on fire: Why Ghana and ECOWAS cannot ignore the collapse of the AES
-
Arts and GH Heritage2 days agoPoetra Asantewa and the Beautiful Contradictions of Accra
-
Health & Wellness2 days agoYour Heart Was Built to Move Modern Life Is Keeping It Still
