Connect with us

Global Update

Venezuela’s Acting President Says She Has Had ‘Enough’ of US Orders

Published

on

Venezuela’s acting president, Delcy Rodríguez, has pushed back publicly against Washington, saying she has had “enough” of what she described as US interference in the country’s internal affairs, even as she seeks to stabilize the nation following the dramatic capture of former leader Nicolás Maduro by US authorities.

Speaking on Sunday to oil workers in Puerto La Cruz, Rodríguez said Venezuelans must be allowed to resolve their own political differences without external pressure.

“Enough already of Washington’s orders over politicians in Venezuela,” Rodríguez said at the event, broadcast by state-run Venezolana de Televisión. “Let Venezuelan politics resolve our differences and our internal conflicts.”

Her comments mark a notable shift in tone nearly a month after she was backed by the United States as interim leader following Maduro’s seizure in early January and his transfer to the US to face criminal charges. Since then, Rodríguez has walked a political tightrope—seeking to keep Maduro loyalists from splintering at home while maintaining working relations with the White House.

Rodríguez, who previously served as Maduro’s deputy, accused foreign pressure of worsening Venezuela’s long-running political crisis.

“This Republic has paid a very high price for having to confront the consequences of fascism and extremism in our country,” she said.

Washington downplays remarks

US President Donald Trump appeared to downplay Rodríguez’s remarks when asked by reporters on Tuesday, saying he was unaware of her comments.

“Well, I don’t know exactly what’s going on there, but I haven’t heard that at all,” Trump said at the White House. “We have a very good relationship.”

The White House has maintained steady pressure on Caracas since Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, were captured in a US-led raid earlier this month. While Trump initially claimed the US was “going to run” Venezuela after Maduro’s removal, he later endorsed Rodríguez as interim leader and recently described her as a “terrific person” following a phone call between the two.

Balancing sovereignty and cooperation

Despite her firm language, Rodríguez has avoided direct confrontation with Washington. At a separate public event on Monday, she said Venezuela does not fear the United States but stressed that relations must be based on mutual respect.

“We are not afraid of maintaining respectful relations with the United States, but they must be based on respect—respect for international law, basic human respect, and respect for the dignity and history of Venezuela,” she said.

US officials have reportedly laid out a series of conditions for continued engagement, including demands that Venezuela cut ties with China, Iran, Russia and Cuba, and partner primarily with US firms on oil production. Washington is also seeking increased oil output, viewing Venezuela—home to the world’s largest reserves of extra-heavy crude—as a strategic energy partner.

Internal divisions and opposition role

At home, Rodríguez faces a deeply fractured political landscape. Maduro loyalists remain divided, alongside left-wing factions critical of the former president’s leadership and so-called “Chavistas No-Maduristas” who support the late Hugo Chávez but reject Maduro’s legacy.

The future role of the opposition also remains uncertain. Trump has said he would like opposition leader María Corina Machado to be involved in Venezuela’s leadership. Machado, who recently met Trump at the White House, presented him with her Nobel Peace Prize, further signaling her international backing.

Prisoner releases welcomed

One area of apparent cooperation has been the release of political prisoners. On Sunday, rights group Foro Penal said at least 104 detainees were freed in a single day—one of the highest daily totals since the government pledged earlier this month to release prisoners as a “peace” gesture.

According to Foro Penal, at least 266 people have been released since January 8. US President Trump thanked Venezuela’s leadership for what he described as a “powerful humanitarian gesture” and said releases would accelerate in the coming weeks.

Venezuelan Interior Minister Diosdado Cabello claimed on Monday that 808 people had been freed since December, a process he said was ordered by Maduro “for coexistence and peace.” Both Cabello and Rodríguez have said Venezuela is open to a visit by UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk to verify the releases, though a full list has yet to be published.

As Rodríguez seeks to consolidate authority, her latest remarks underline the delicate balance she faces—asserting Venezuelan sovereignty while navigating intense US expectations at a pivotal moment for the oil-rich nation.

Global Update

How Ghana Appears in Newly Unsealed Jeffrey Epstein Court Documents

Published

on

Newly unsealed court documents from the Jeffrey Epstein civil case, made public in early February 2026, contain several references to Ghana.

The mentions, however, do not accuse any Ghanaian citizens or officials of wrongdoing or direct involvement in Epstein’s criminal activities. They appear in depositions, flight logs, and witness statements related to Epstein’s international travel and business dealings in the early 2000s.

According to summaries published by GhanaWeb on February 13, 2026, the references primarily involve:

  • Epstein’s brief business and travel connections to West Africa during that period
  • A former high-profile associate of Epstein who had commercial interests or meetings linked to Ghana
  • Passing mentions of Ghana in the context of broader African financial or investment discussions Epstein pursued

None of the documents implicate current or former Ghanaian government officials, business leaders, or private citizens in any criminal conduct. The references are largely contextual and do not form part of the core allegations against Epstein or his co-conspirators.

Ghanaian authorities have not issued an official comment on the disclosures. Legal and diplomatic experts note that the mentions appear incidental and do not trigger any immediate investigative action under Ghanaian law.

The files are part of the long-running civil defamation lawsuit brought by Virginia Giuffre against Ghislaine Maxwell, with thousands of pages unsealed in stages since 2024.

The Epstein case continues to generate global headlines, with new batches of documents periodically revealing names, travel records, and financial connections. While the Ghana references have sparked online discussion in the country, analysts caution against over-interpretation, as the documents do not suggest any Ghanaian participation in Epstein’s sex-trafficking network.

The latest unsealing adds to the ongoing public fascination and scrutiny surrounding Epstein’s elite network, even years after his 2019 death in custody.

Continue Reading

Global Update

King Charles to Host Nigerian President Bola Tinubu for State Visit in March 2026 – First in 37 Years

Published

on

Buckingham Palace has announced that King Charles III and Queen Camilla will welcome President Bola Ahmed Tinubu of Nigeria and First Lady Oluremi Tinubu for a two-day state visit to the United Kingdom from March 18 to March 19, 2026.

The visit, centered at Windsor Castle, marks the first official state visit by a Nigerian president to the UK in 37 years—the last being in 1989 under military leader Gen. Ibrahim Babangida.

The announcement, made on February 7, 2026, follows the high-profile private trip by Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to Nigeria in May 2024, where the couple participated in Invictus Games events, mental health initiatives, and cultural engagements. While Palace officials have not drawn a direct connection, the timing adds symbolic resonance to the strengthening of UK-Nigeria ties amid ongoing Commonwealth cooperation and bilateral diplomacy.

The state visit will include traditional ceremonial elements—such as a formal welcome, bilateral meetings with King Charles, a state banquet, and engagements highlighting shared priorities in trade, security, education, climate action, and cultural exchange. President Tinubu previously met King Charles at Buckingham Palace in September 2024 and during the COP28 summit in Dubai in 2023.

The visit reflects the UK’s renewed emphasis on deepening partnerships with African nations under the Labour government, with Nigeria—Africa’s largest economy and a key Commonwealth member—playing a central role. It also underscores continued diplomatic momentum following recent UK engagements with other African leaders.

No detailed program has been released yet, but officials say the visit will reinforce long-standing historical, economic, and people-to-people links between the two countries.

Continue Reading

Global Update

A Major US-Russia Nuclear Treaty Expired on February 5, Now Stalled Talks Has Plunged the World into Heightened Nuclear Risk

Published

on

As the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (New START) officially expired on February 5, 2026, the world enters a period of heightened uncertainty.

Without binding limits on the nuclear arsenals of Russia and the United States—the two largest nuclear powers, global nuclear risks have been heightened significantly.

The treaty, which capped deployed strategic warheads and delivery systems, has been a cornerstone of global arms control since 2010, but its lapse follows years of compliance disputes, geopolitical tensions, and failed extension efforts.

Current Status and Outlook

The treaty’s expiration leaves no formal constraints on the deployment of intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs), submarine-launched ballistic missiles (SLBMs), and heavy bombers capable of delivering nuclear warheads. In September 2025, Russian President Vladimir Putin signaled Russia’s willingness to voluntarily adhere to the treaty’s limits for one year post-expiration, provided the US reciprocates. The US responded positively but, as of early February 2026, had not issued an official reply, according to Kremlin sources.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov warned that “in a few days, the world may find itself in a more dangerous situation than before,” stressing the urgency for dialogue.

Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov attributed the crisis to longstanding issues, including US allegations of Russian non-compliance and broader geopolitical frictions stemming from the Ukraine conflict. Analysts view the outlook as precarious: without renewal, both nations could resume unconstrained nuclear buildups, potentially sparking a new arms race and undermining global stability. Efforts for compartmentalized talks—separating arms control from other disputes—have stalled, with Russia insisting on addressing NATO’s nuclear capabilities, including those of France and the UK.

Breaking Down the Treaty: Weapons and Limits

New START regulated strategic offensive arms, focusing on nuclear warheads, delivery vehicles (ballistic and cruise missiles, air-dropped bombs), and launch platforms with ranges over 5,500 km. Covered systems included:

  • ICBMs: US models like Minuteman II–III and Peacekeeper; Russian variants such as Topol-family, R-36M, and RS-24 Yars.
  • SLBMs: US Trident II; Russian R-29R, R-39, R-39RM, and R-30.
  • Heavy bombers: Russian Tu-95MS and Tu-160; US B-52G, B-52H, B-1B, and B-2A.

Limits were set at no more than 700 deployed delivery vehicles, 1,550 deployed warheads, and 800 deployed and non-deployed launchers and bombers. Compliance was monitored through a Bilateral Consultative Commission and on-site inspections, though tactical nuclear weapons, missile defenses, and non-nuclear strategic arms (e.g., hypersonic missiles) were excluded.

Brief History of the Treaty

Signed on April 8, 2010, in Prague by Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and US President Barack Obama, New START replaced the 1991 START I and 2002 SORT treaties. It entered force in 2011 and was hailed as a key achievement in post-Cold War arms control.

By February 2018, both parties reported compliance: Russia with 527 deployed vehicles, 1,444 warheads, and 779 launchers/bombers; the US with similar figures. The treaty was extended in February 2021 by the Biden administration without amendments, set to expire on February 5, 2026.

Compliance Disputes and Alleged US Violations

Russia has accused the US of violations, claiming the US illegitimately excluded 56 Trident II SLBM launchers and 41 B-52H bombers from counts, resulting in an excess of 101 delivery vehicles. As of September 1, 2022, US data (659 deployed vehicles, 1,420 warheads, 800 launchers/bombers) was disputed by Moscow as inaccurate. On January 31, 2023, the US accused Russia of non-compliance by denying inspections and postponing consultations.

China’s Position on New START

China has repeatedly declined invitations to join, arguing its nuclear arsenal is approximately 20 times smaller than those of Russia and the US. Beijing has stated it would consider participation only if the superpowers reduce their stockpiles to China’s level.

Extension Efforts and the Crisis

The 2021 extension was straightforward, but relations deteriorated amid the Ukraine conflict. Inspections, paused during the COVID-19 pandemic, were not resumed due to US sanctions, airspace closures, and visa denials for Russian inspectors. In June 2023, the US froze nuclear data sharing with Russia. US proposals for “compartmentalized” talks—isolating arms control from Ukraine—were rejected by Russia.

In July 2025, US President Donald Trump advocated for trilateral limits with Russia and China, but progress stalled.

Russia’s Suspension and Reasons

On February 21, 2023, Putin announced Russia’s suspension (not withdrawal) of participation, citing:

  • Western arms supplies to Ukraine and targeting assistance against Russian bases.
  • US and NATO aims to strategically defeat Russia.
  • The need to include French and UK arsenals in discussions.
  • US obstacles to inspections.
  • US considerations for resuming nuclear tests.

The suspension highlighted deepening mistrust, with Russia maintaining it could return if conditions improve.

The expiration of New START on February 5, 2026, without a successor risks eroding decades of arms control progress, potentially escalating global nuclear tensions. Experts urge renewed dialogue to prevent an arms race, though geopolitical divides remain a formidable barrier.

Continue Reading

Trending