Connect with us

Global Update

Report Says Trump Engaged in Same ‘Mortgage Fraud’ He Accused Letitia James Of

Published

on

Donald Trump

A new ProPublica investigation is raising serious questions about U.S. President Donald Trump’s own real estate dealings.

The investigation is alleging that Trump engaged in the same type of “mortgage fraud” he has publicly accused his political opponents of committing.

The report, published Sunday, December 7, 2025, compares Trump’s decades-old mortgage records to the very cases his administration once attempted to prosecute — including those involving New York Attorney General Letitia James and Federal Reserve Governor Lisa Cook. Both women denied wrongdoing; the charges against James were later dismissed on procedural grounds.

But the heart of ProPublica’s finding is blunt: “Trump did the very thing he’s accusing his enemies of.”

Two Mortgages, Two “Primary Residences” — Weeks Apart

According to documents reviewed by ProPublica, Trump signed a mortgage in 1993 for a Palm Beach home, pledging it would be his principal residence. Just seven weeks later, he signed a mortgage for a second home next door — and claimed that one would be his principal residence too.

Mortgage experts say claiming two primary residences at the same time is unusual but not automatically illegal. What makes Trump’s case stand out is the context:

  • Trump, then a New York resident, never appears to have lived in either property.
  • Both homes were reportedly rented out as investment properties.
  • Trump’s administration previously held that similar claims constituted fraud.

A longtime real estate agent who worked with Trump confirmed to ProPublica that the Palm Beach houses functioned as rentals, not primary homes.

The Irony: His Administration Set the Standard

Trump’s own officials once used similar dual-residence claims as evidence of deception.

Bill Pulte, who led the Federal Housing Finance Agency during Trump’s presidency, told reporters at the time:

“If somebody is claiming two primary residences, that is not appropriate, and we will refer it for criminal investigation.”

Under that benchmark, mortgage finance scholar Kathleen Engel told ProPublica the implications are unavoidable:

“Trump is going to either need to fire himself or refer himself to the Department of Justice.”

She added that Trump had personally deemed this kind of misrepresentation serious enough to bar someone from serving in government.

Trump’s Response: A Phone Hang-Up

ProPublica says Trump hung up the phone when asked whether his 1990s Florida mortgages were similar to the cases he’s accused others of committing.

The former president — who has repeatedly framed himself as a victim of politically motivated investigations — has not publicly responded to the specific allegations. His allies, however, have described the report as another “media hit job.”

Why This Matters

For a candidate seeking a return to the White House, the report comes at a sensitive moment. Trump has spent months accusing political opponents of corruption, financial misconduct, and “fraudulent” housing disclosures.

If the ProPublica findings hold, they add fuel to claims that Trump’s attacks are often projection — echoing criticism from legal scholars who say the former president routinely accuses others of actions he himself has previously taken.

The story also revives scrutiny of the Trump Organization’s long-documented pattern of aggressive real-estate representations, a central theme in several ongoing civil and criminal investigations.

What Comes Next

While mortgage experts cited in the report stress that dual primary-residence claims are rarely prosecuted, the political fallout may matter more than the legal one. The allegations highlight a pattern of inconsistency that opponents will likely weaponize, especially in a campaign season defined by questions of truthfulness, transparency, and accountability.

For now, the report leaves unanswered questions — chief among them: Will Trump address the allegations directly, or continue dismissing the matter as partisan noise?

Global Update

How Ghana Appears in Newly Unsealed Jeffrey Epstein Court Documents

Published

on

Newly unsealed court documents from the Jeffrey Epstein civil case, made public in early February 2026, contain several references to Ghana.

The mentions, however, do not accuse any Ghanaian citizens or officials of wrongdoing or direct involvement in Epstein’s criminal activities. They appear in depositions, flight logs, and witness statements related to Epstein’s international travel and business dealings in the early 2000s.

According to summaries published by GhanaWeb on February 13, 2026, the references primarily involve:

  • Epstein’s brief business and travel connections to West Africa during that period
  • A former high-profile associate of Epstein who had commercial interests or meetings linked to Ghana
  • Passing mentions of Ghana in the context of broader African financial or investment discussions Epstein pursued

None of the documents implicate current or former Ghanaian government officials, business leaders, or private citizens in any criminal conduct. The references are largely contextual and do not form part of the core allegations against Epstein or his co-conspirators.

Ghanaian authorities have not issued an official comment on the disclosures. Legal and diplomatic experts note that the mentions appear incidental and do not trigger any immediate investigative action under Ghanaian law.

The files are part of the long-running civil defamation lawsuit brought by Virginia Giuffre against Ghislaine Maxwell, with thousands of pages unsealed in stages since 2024.

The Epstein case continues to generate global headlines, with new batches of documents periodically revealing names, travel records, and financial connections. While the Ghana references have sparked online discussion in the country, analysts caution against over-interpretation, as the documents do not suggest any Ghanaian participation in Epstein’s sex-trafficking network.

The latest unsealing adds to the ongoing public fascination and scrutiny surrounding Epstein’s elite network, even years after his 2019 death in custody.

Continue Reading

Global Update

King Charles to Host Nigerian President Bola Tinubu for State Visit in March 2026 – First in 37 Years

Published

on

Buckingham Palace has announced that King Charles III and Queen Camilla will welcome President Bola Ahmed Tinubu of Nigeria and First Lady Oluremi Tinubu for a two-day state visit to the United Kingdom from March 18 to March 19, 2026.

The visit, centered at Windsor Castle, marks the first official state visit by a Nigerian president to the UK in 37 years—the last being in 1989 under military leader Gen. Ibrahim Babangida.

The announcement, made on February 7, 2026, follows the high-profile private trip by Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to Nigeria in May 2024, where the couple participated in Invictus Games events, mental health initiatives, and cultural engagements. While Palace officials have not drawn a direct connection, the timing adds symbolic resonance to the strengthening of UK-Nigeria ties amid ongoing Commonwealth cooperation and bilateral diplomacy.

The state visit will include traditional ceremonial elements—such as a formal welcome, bilateral meetings with King Charles, a state banquet, and engagements highlighting shared priorities in trade, security, education, climate action, and cultural exchange. President Tinubu previously met King Charles at Buckingham Palace in September 2024 and during the COP28 summit in Dubai in 2023.

The visit reflects the UK’s renewed emphasis on deepening partnerships with African nations under the Labour government, with Nigeria—Africa’s largest economy and a key Commonwealth member—playing a central role. It also underscores continued diplomatic momentum following recent UK engagements with other African leaders.

No detailed program has been released yet, but officials say the visit will reinforce long-standing historical, economic, and people-to-people links between the two countries.

Continue Reading

Global Update

A Major US-Russia Nuclear Treaty Expired on February 5, Now Stalled Talks Has Plunged the World into Heightened Nuclear Risk

Published

on

As the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (New START) officially expired on February 5, 2026, the world enters a period of heightened uncertainty.

Without binding limits on the nuclear arsenals of Russia and the United States—the two largest nuclear powers, global nuclear risks have been heightened significantly.

The treaty, which capped deployed strategic warheads and delivery systems, has been a cornerstone of global arms control since 2010, but its lapse follows years of compliance disputes, geopolitical tensions, and failed extension efforts.

Current Status and Outlook

The treaty’s expiration leaves no formal constraints on the deployment of intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs), submarine-launched ballistic missiles (SLBMs), and heavy bombers capable of delivering nuclear warheads. In September 2025, Russian President Vladimir Putin signaled Russia’s willingness to voluntarily adhere to the treaty’s limits for one year post-expiration, provided the US reciprocates. The US responded positively but, as of early February 2026, had not issued an official reply, according to Kremlin sources.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov warned that “in a few days, the world may find itself in a more dangerous situation than before,” stressing the urgency for dialogue.

Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov attributed the crisis to longstanding issues, including US allegations of Russian non-compliance and broader geopolitical frictions stemming from the Ukraine conflict. Analysts view the outlook as precarious: without renewal, both nations could resume unconstrained nuclear buildups, potentially sparking a new arms race and undermining global stability. Efforts for compartmentalized talks—separating arms control from other disputes—have stalled, with Russia insisting on addressing NATO’s nuclear capabilities, including those of France and the UK.

Breaking Down the Treaty: Weapons and Limits

New START regulated strategic offensive arms, focusing on nuclear warheads, delivery vehicles (ballistic and cruise missiles, air-dropped bombs), and launch platforms with ranges over 5,500 km. Covered systems included:

  • ICBMs: US models like Minuteman II–III and Peacekeeper; Russian variants such as Topol-family, R-36M, and RS-24 Yars.
  • SLBMs: US Trident II; Russian R-29R, R-39, R-39RM, and R-30.
  • Heavy bombers: Russian Tu-95MS and Tu-160; US B-52G, B-52H, B-1B, and B-2A.

Limits were set at no more than 700 deployed delivery vehicles, 1,550 deployed warheads, and 800 deployed and non-deployed launchers and bombers. Compliance was monitored through a Bilateral Consultative Commission and on-site inspections, though tactical nuclear weapons, missile defenses, and non-nuclear strategic arms (e.g., hypersonic missiles) were excluded.

Brief History of the Treaty

Signed on April 8, 2010, in Prague by Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and US President Barack Obama, New START replaced the 1991 START I and 2002 SORT treaties. It entered force in 2011 and was hailed as a key achievement in post-Cold War arms control.

By February 2018, both parties reported compliance: Russia with 527 deployed vehicles, 1,444 warheads, and 779 launchers/bombers; the US with similar figures. The treaty was extended in February 2021 by the Biden administration without amendments, set to expire on February 5, 2026.

Compliance Disputes and Alleged US Violations

Russia has accused the US of violations, claiming the US illegitimately excluded 56 Trident II SLBM launchers and 41 B-52H bombers from counts, resulting in an excess of 101 delivery vehicles. As of September 1, 2022, US data (659 deployed vehicles, 1,420 warheads, 800 launchers/bombers) was disputed by Moscow as inaccurate. On January 31, 2023, the US accused Russia of non-compliance by denying inspections and postponing consultations.

China’s Position on New START

China has repeatedly declined invitations to join, arguing its nuclear arsenal is approximately 20 times smaller than those of Russia and the US. Beijing has stated it would consider participation only if the superpowers reduce their stockpiles to China’s level.

Extension Efforts and the Crisis

The 2021 extension was straightforward, but relations deteriorated amid the Ukraine conflict. Inspections, paused during the COVID-19 pandemic, were not resumed due to US sanctions, airspace closures, and visa denials for Russian inspectors. In June 2023, the US froze nuclear data sharing with Russia. US proposals for “compartmentalized” talks—isolating arms control from Ukraine—were rejected by Russia.

In July 2025, US President Donald Trump advocated for trilateral limits with Russia and China, but progress stalled.

Russia’s Suspension and Reasons

On February 21, 2023, Putin announced Russia’s suspension (not withdrawal) of participation, citing:

  • Western arms supplies to Ukraine and targeting assistance against Russian bases.
  • US and NATO aims to strategically defeat Russia.
  • The need to include French and UK arsenals in discussions.
  • US obstacles to inspections.
  • US considerations for resuming nuclear tests.

The suspension highlighted deepening mistrust, with Russia maintaining it could return if conditions improve.

The expiration of New START on February 5, 2026, without a successor risks eroding decades of arms control progress, potentially escalating global nuclear tensions. Experts urge renewed dialogue to prevent an arms race, though geopolitical divides remain a formidable barrier.

Continue Reading

Trending