Ghana News
Ghanaian MP Arrested in Netherlands Denies Romance Scam Allegations
Accra, Ghana – Detained Ghanaian lawmaker Ohene Kwame Frimpong has denied widespread media reports linking his arrest in the Netherlands to an alleged romance scam.
He is insisting that the only charge communicated to him by Interpol was money laundering.
The Member of Parliament for Asante Akim North, popularly known as OK Frimpong, spoke for the first time since his detention at Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport in a video that surfaced online on May 15, 2026 and attributed to popular radio presenter, Black Rasta.
The clip, which has since gone viral, features an excerpt from a discussion between the arrested MP and Blakk Rasta.
‘I Was Told Nothing Else’
In the recording, Frimpong directly refuted allegations that he was arrested for his involvement in a romance scam, a form of fraud where perpetrators create fake romantic identities online to defraud victims.
“When I was picked up, the only thing they told me was that I was being arrested for money laundering and nothing else,” Frimpong could be heard saying in a audio played by Black Rasta on his show.
He also denied reports circulating in both Ghanaian and international media that linked him to $100 million and $35 million money laundering schemes. Addressing the widely reported figure of $32 million, he declined to elaborate further.
“I have heard a lot of reports that I was involved in a $32 million money laundering scheme, but I won’t say anything,” he said.
Conflicting Narratives
Frimpong’s statement directly contradicts earlier reports that suggested the arrest was connected to a broader international investigation into romance fraud. Multiple media outlets had alleged that the lawmaker was part of a $215 million fraud network, claims his legal team has not yet formally addressed.
The MP’s denial sets the stage for a potential legal battle over the precise nature of the charges, as his Amsterdam-based legal team prepares to contest extradition proceedings to the United States, where a bench warrant has reportedly been issued for his arrest.
Investigation Continues
While Frimpong has publicly rejected the romance scam allegations, he did not deny the money laundering charge.
His carefully worded statement, “I won’t say anything” regarding the $32 million figure, leaves room for more revelations as the matter unfolds.
Majority Chief Whip Rockson-Nelson Dafeamekpor previously disclosed that the arrest warrant was issued on April 26, 2026, more than two weeks before the MP was taken into custody. Dafeamekpor has expressed concern that Ghanaian authorities were not notified of the warrant in advance.
What Comes Next
Frimpong remains in custody in the Netherlands, where his legal team is expected to challenge the extradition request from United States authorities. The case has drawn significant diplomatic attention, with Ghana’s Foreign Ministry and Attorney-General’s office monitoring developments.
The MP entered Parliament after a surprise victory in the 2024 elections as an independent candidate and has since caucused with the Majority side of the House.
This is a developing story. Updates will be provided as new information becomes available.
Ghana News
Ghanaian Students Shine in National Chinese Proficiency Competition
The rhythmic tones of Mandarin echoed through Ghana’s cultural heartland on Thursday, May 21, 2026, as the country’s brightest young linguists gathered for the national final of the 2026 “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competition for Foreign Students.
Held in Kumasi, Ghana’s second-largest city, the event transformed the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) into a vibrant stage for Sino-African camaraderie.
Local students demonstrated not only brilliant language skills but also a deep talent for Chinese calligraphy, music, and traditional dance.
The two-day competition, hosted by the Confucius Institute at KNUST, brought together a diverse cohort of competitors.
University students from KNUST, the University of Cape Coast, and the University of Ghana competed alongside primary, junior high, and senior high school students from various Chinese language programs around the West African nation.
‘Opening a Window to a Beautiful Way of Thinking’
Speaking at the event, Ke Ningli, Chinese director of the Confucius Institute at KNUST, expressed profound joy at the growing enthusiasm for Mandarin.
“To see so many young Ghanaians full of passion for the Chinese language and eager to explore the ancient and modern aspects of China is truly remarkable,” Ke told Xinhua. “This competition connects the hearts and cultures of young people from China and Ghana.”
The event was more than a linguistic test; it was a celebration of the deepening ties between the two nations. Charles Ofosu Marfo, provost of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences at KNUST, praised the courage of the youngest participants.
“By mastering Chinese characters and tones at your age, you are not just learning words; you are also opening a significant window into a rich history, vibrant tradition, and a beautiful way of thinking,” Marfo told the audience.
The Future Facilitators of Partnership
Marfo added that the students represent the future facilitators of the deepening Sino-Ghanaian partnership, driving mutual growth, industrial innovation, and cultural exchange.
As the competition draws to a close on Friday, judges are expected to select a single winner who will represent Ghana on the global stage at the international final later this year.
For the hundreds of students in attendance, the event served as a powerful reminder that in an increasingly interconnected world, language is the ultimate bridge.
Ghana News
Ebola Risk Low, but Ghanaians Told to Wash Hands and Avoid Mass Gatherings
Health Minister assures citizens no cases recorded in West Africa, yet urges preventive measures as WHO declares public health emergency
Ghana’s Health Minister has assured citizens that the risk of Ebola in the country remains low, with no cases recorded in Ghana or anywhere in West Africa, even as he urged Ghanaians to practice rigorous hand hygiene and called on event organizers to provide sanitizing stations at mass gatherings.
In a public address on Thursday, May 21, 2026, Kwabena Mintah Akandoh sought to balance reassurance with vigilance following the World Health Organization’s declaration of Ebola as a public health emergency of international concern last week.
“It is important to note that no cases have been recorded in West Africa, including our dear country, Ghana,” the Minister said. “However, it is said prevention is always better than cure.”
Low Risk, but Not No Risk
Akandoh explained that Ebola is a viral disease spread through direct contact with blood, body fluids, secretions, and contaminated surfaces or materials. He listed key symptoms including sudden fever, headache, muscle pain, vomiting, diarrhea, and unexplained bleeding – urging anyone experiencing these signs to report immediately to the nearest health facility.
Despite the low-risk assessment, the Minister outlined specific precautions for the public.
“Practice good hand hygiene,” he said. “What this means is that we should wash our hands frequently with soap under running water or use hand sanitizers.”
Mass Gatherings in Focus
The Minister paid particular attention to mass gatherings, urging event organizers to provide hand washing stations and hand sanitizers at their venues.
“During mass gatherings, please also practice good hand hygiene,” he said. “And event organizers should provide hand washing stations and hand sanitizers.”
The directive affects religious services, concerts, political rallies, weddings, funerals, and other large public events that remain central to Ghanaian social and cultural life.
Government Preparedness
The Minister concluded by assuring citizens that the government is not relying on luck.
“I would like to use this opportunity to assure everybody that the government is taking all the necessary measures to protect us all,” he said.
While the WHO’s emergency declaration has raised global alarm, Ghanaian authorities are walking a careful line – warning without panicking, preparing without provoking fear.
For now, the message is clear: the risk is low. But washing your hands costs nothing.
Ghana News
Xenophobia in South Africa: Ablakwa’s Foreign Ministry Faces First Major Test
Ablakwa promised swift evacuation. Then 800 Ghanaians registered. Now his ministry faces its first major test.
Just days after Foreign Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa announced a comprehensive support package for Ghanaians fleeing xenophobic attacks in South Africa, his ministry has been forced to delay the evacuation, marking the first major test of his leadership in a crisis.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced Thursday, May 21, 2026, that the evacuation, originally scheduled to begin on May 21, has been “deferred by a few days” after more than 800 Ghanaians registered with the High Commission in Pretoria seeking repatriation.
The figure far exceeds initial estimates and has overwhelmed planned logistical arrangements.
“Considering the numbers involved and the South African legal conditions that have to be met including mandatory passenger screening, multi-institutional coordination and flight permits, the planned evacuation has been deferred by a few days,” the ministry said in a press release.
A Promising Start Meets Reality
Earlier this week, Ablakwa, who took office with a reputation as an energetic and outspoken legislator, announced a high-profile support package for evacuees that included a welcome home financial package, transportation assistance, re-integration allowance, free psychosocial support, and entry into a special database for jobs and startup opportunities.
The announcement was widely praised and positioned Ghana as a leader in citizen protection amid a wave of anti-immigrant violence sweeping across South Africa. But the sudden deferral of the evacuation, even if unavoidable, has raised questions about implementation and preparedness.
The Ministry acknowledged that the surge in registrations, coupled with South African legal requirements, created bottlenecks that could not be resolved in time for the planned start date.

Diplomatic Engagement Intensifies
Ghanaian and South African authorities have since agreed on “enhanced and more efficient pre-evacuation modalities to expedite the process,” the statement said, adding that senior government officials on both sides remain actively engaged.
For Ablakwa, who has positioned himself as a vocal advocate for diaspora affairs and consular services, the evacuation represents an early test of his ability to translate political promises into operational reality. The delay, even if temporary, puts him in the difficult position of asking desperate citizens to wait longer while conditions on the ground in South Africa remain dangerous.
The Bigger Picture
The evacuation comes amid escalating xenophobic violence in South Africa, where foreign nationals from across the continent have been targeted by vigilante groups and anti-immigrant protesters. Ghana is among several African nations racing to repatriate citizens.
The Ministry explained that the deferral is measured in days, not weeks, and that “best efforts are being pursued to ensure their safe return home.” It also commended affected nationals for their “remarkable understanding and patience.”
What to Watch
For Ablakwa, the coming days will determine whether the delay is a minor logistical hiccup or the beginning of a more protracted challenge. The government has pledged to keep the public apprised in a “transparent and timely manner,” a commitment that will be tested as anxious families await word.
The minister, who earlier this week welcomed the Church of Scotland’s apology for slavery and renewed Ghana’s call for justice over an attack on its peacekeepers in Lebanon, now faces a more immediate and personal test: getting 800 citizens home safely.
-
Ghana News2 days agoMobile Money Transactions Hit GH¢493.2bn in April, Soldier Killed in Counter-Terrorism Blast, and Other Big Stories in Ghana Today
-
Global Update2 days agoJust Days Away, GMet Warns Heavy Rains to Intensify in Southern Ghana by Late May
-
Ghana News20 hours agoTikToker Arrested Over Death Threats Against President Mahama, GN Bank’s License Restored, and Other Big Stories in Ghana Today
-
Ghana News2 days agoNewspaper Headlines Today: Thursday, May 21, 2026
-
Ghana News19 hours agoXenophobia in South Africa: Ablakwa’s Foreign Ministry Faces First Major Test
-
Ghana News20 hours agoNewspaper Headlines Today: Friday, May 22, 2026
-
Ghana News19 hours agoEbola Risk Low, but Ghanaians Told to Wash Hands and Avoid Mass Gatherings
-
Ghana News2 days agoVaccine Institute Boss Sodzi-Tettey Reveals How Mahama Turned $50M Into a Global Health Sovereignty Movement
