Connect with us

Ghana News

Akufo-Addo Pleads With Mahama For ‘Safe Passage’ for Embattled Ken Ofori-Atta

Published

on

Former Ghanaian President Nana Akufo-Addo is reportedly reaching out to his successor, President John Dramani Mahama, to secure a “safe passage” for his cousin and erstwhile Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta.

Ofori-Atta faces mounting corruption charges that could tarnish Akufo-Addo and the New Patriotic Party’s (NPP) post-tenure image.

According to The Herald newspaper, sources close to the Akufo-Addo family reveal that the outgoing leader, whose administration ended amid economic turmoil and procurement scandals, is “deeply distressed” by the escalating probe into Ofori-Atta’s nearly eight-year stewardship of Ghana’s finances.

Ofori-Atta, once hailed as a “financial wizard” for steering the economy through the COVID-19 crisis, has been ensconced in the United States since February 2025, citing kidney-related health issues. Yet, insiders insist he remains actively engaged in his private ventures, including insurance giant Enterprise Insurance and investment firm Databank Financial Services, while dodging what prosecutors describe as a “fugitive” status back home.

At the heart of the controversy is the Strategic Mobilisation Limited (SML) scandal—a web of alleged procurement manipulations that reportedly drained over GH¢1.4 billion (approximately $92 million) from Ghana’s coffers between 2017 and 2025.

The Office of the Special Prosecutor (OSP), led by Kissi Agyebeng, accuses Ofori-Atta and accomplices of conspiring to award no-bid contracts to SML for dubious audit services in petroleum and mineral sectors, bypassing parliamentary approval and public procurement laws. Payments, prosecutors claim, flowed on “autopilot” without verifiable deliverables, embodying a broader pattern of “self-serving patronage” that Mahama’s incoming administration has vowed to dismantle.

The OSP’s charges against Ofori-Atta—spanning 78 counts including conspiracy, abuse of public office, and causing financial loss to the state—paint a picture of impunity at the highest levels. Extradition proceedings are underway in the U.S., following his failure to heed summons despite a submitted medical note dismissed as insufficient. Last week, an Accra High Court granted bail to five co-accused, including former Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) chiefs, at GH¢50 million each, but suspended new conditions until today, December 15, amid procedural wrangling. Ofori-Atta and two others remain absent, with their next court date set for December 17.

Akufo-Addo’s reported overtures to Mahama, made through backchannels, seek to avert a humiliating airport arrest upon Ofori-Atta’s anticipated return to Kotoka International Airport.

“The family name is at stake,” one source told The Herald newspaper, adding that the ex-president views the allegations as a direct assault on his administration’s legacy.

Yet, Jubilee House officials, speaking anonymously, signal a firm rebuff: Mahama, who campaigned on anti-corruption credentials during his December 7 election victory, insists the judiciary must proceed unimpeded.

“No deals on accountability,” one aide said, echoing sentiments that Ofori-Atta must first refund any ill-gotten gains before entertaining leniency.

This saga extends beyond the SML debacle. The OSP’s net has widened to probe other flashpoints from Ofori-Atta’s tenure, including the abrupt cancellation of a $100 million power grid contract with China’s Beijing Xiao Cheng Technology, questionable spending on the stalled National Cathedral project, and a GH¢1.2 billion ambulance procurement marred by inflated costs and irregular funding from GRA’s tax refund account. Investigations, sparked by public petitions in late 2023, culminated in a presidential directive last month terminating all SML ties—a move that has saved Ghana an estimated $2.8 billion in future liabilities.

For a nation still reeling from debt defaults and inflation spikes under Akufo-Addo’s watch, the Ofori-Atta affair symbolizes the perils of unchecked executive power in emerging democracies.

Globally, it resonates as a cautionary tale for African governance: How do leaders balance familial bonds with public trust? As Mahama’s National Democratic Congress (NDC) administration settles in, promising fiscal reforms and transparency, eyes worldwide—from Washington to Beijing—watch whether Ghana can turn scandal into systemic renewal.

Ghana News

Russian Embassy Criticized for “Empty” Statement on Viral Exploitation Videos involving Citizen

Published

on

The Embassy of the Russian Federation in Ghana has issued a brief statement in the wake of widespread public anger and social media uproar over allegations that Russian nationals are luring young Ghanaian women into filmed sexual encounters for online distribution without consent.

The release posted on X on February 16, 2026, fails to condemn the alleged exploitation, non-consensual recording, and distribution of intimate material by its nationals.

“The Embassy of the Russian Federation in the Republic of Ghana has taken note of the reports in the Ghanaian media on the alleged involvement of a supposedly Russian citizen engaged in sexual activities with some Ghanaian women and recorded those acts without consent,” the post read.

The response comes after days of viral outrage on X, TikTok, Instagram, and WhatsApp groups, where screenshots, testimonies, and alleged links to explicit content prompted hashtags such as #ProtectGhanaianWomen and #StopTheRussianScheme.

MP Sam George, chair of the Parliamentary Committee on Gender, Children and Social Protection, has announced Ghana’s intent to pursue extradition if the primary suspect.

Responses on X

Responses to the post have been stronly worded. One person posted:

“Never trust those Russian scum. They throw African men into their war as cannon fodder & treat African women like disposable sex toys. Pure racist evil. Predators, not partners. WAKE UP AFRICA.”

Another asked:

“Any action taken?”

Another asked:

“So after taking the note, what next?”

Ghanaian authorities have disclosed they will pursue extradition proceedings against the man, said to have left Ghana.

The decision was announced by Member of Parliament Sam George on February 13, 2026, following weeks of public outrage over the alleged scheme.

According to Sam George — who chairs the Parliamentary Committee on Gender, Children and Social Protection — the suspect is believed to be a Russian national who used dating apps and social media to target young Ghanaian women, particularly students and professionals in Accra and other urban centres.

Victims were reportedly lured with promises of money, gifts or relationships, only to discover later that explicit videos were uploaded to adult websites and shared in private groups, often leading to blackmail, humiliation and threats.

Continue Reading

Ghana News

Russian Man Who Secretly Filmed Ghanaian Women Reportedly Arrested in Tokyo

Published

on

A now-viral video purports to show the Russian national who previously gained attention in Ghana for controversial secret videos being arrested in Tokyo.

The video captures the man often identified in online reports by the username “Yaytsesl” being handcuffed and his rights being read to him by a Japanese law enforcement officer.

Arrest captured in partially verified video

The partially blurred footage circulating online shows Japanese police officers informing the man of his rights to remain silent in English while placing him under arrest.

In the video, officers say they had reviewed his online content before taking action.

The man is heard responding that he had never been arrested before and asking what personal items he would be allowed to bring.

The authenticity of the footage has not been independently verified.

Background: online activity linked to Ghana controversy

The suspect had drawn international attention after posting videos involving escapes with women in Kenya and Ghana that sparked widespread backlash.

The content allegedly included exploitative online material tied to vulnerable individuals, which triggered outrage among social media users and prompted calls for investigation.

@ghananewsglobal

🚨 BREAKING: Russian national in viral secret videos arrested in Tokyo over alleged exploitation of women 😱 Video shows police reading him his rights in English — “We’ve seen your videos online…” Ghanaian authorities now pushing for extradition so he can face justice here 🇬🇭 Justice for the victims — this has to stop! What do you think should happen next? 👇 GhanaNews RussianArrestTokyo ProtectGhanaianWomen OnlineExploitation SamGeorge CyberCrimeGhana GhanaTikTok ViralGhana AfricaNews JusticeForVictims FYP ForYou TrendingGhana February2026 StopTheScheme”

♬ original sound – Ghana News Global – Ghana News Global

Ghanaian authorities later confirmed they were aware of the situation and had initiated inquiries into the man’s activities while he was in the country. Officials indicated they were cooperating with international partners as part of broader investigations.

Reports from African and Russian media described the man as a self-proclaimed “pick-up artist” and online blogger in his 30s who travelled to Ghana and other African countries, where he allegedly recorded interactions with women without their knowledge.

Media outlets in both regions also alleged that he used sunglasses equipped with a hidden camera to capture some of the encounters and later shared the footage on social media, although authorities have not officially confirmed these claims.

Cross-border legal implications

Japanese police have not publicly disclosed the exact charges, but the arrest, if confirmed, highlights how digital activity can lead to international law enforcement action. Authorities reportedly acted after reviewing evidence linked to his online conduct.

The case has also sparked debate in Ghana about online exploitation, digital regulation, and the protection of vulnerable populations in the age of social media.

In Ghana, under the Cybersecurity Act 2020, the law punishes those who share nude photos or videos online, especially of women and children, often for revenge or blackmail.

Continue Reading

Ghana News

Several Ghanaian Traders Feared Dead in the Brutal Terrorist Attack in Burkina Faso

Published

on

Several Ghanaian traders are feared dead after a truck carrying tomato merchants from Ghana was attacked by suspected terrorists in Titao, Burkina Faso, on Saturday, February 14, 2026.

In an official statement issued on February 14, 2026, Ghana’s Ministry of the Interior and National Security described the incident as “disturbing,” reflecting the gravity of the situation, but kept its lips tight about casualties.

One of the trucks hit in the attack. Image: GhanaWeb

The release, signed by Minister Mohammed-Mubarak Muntaka (MP), stated that the vehicle transporting the traders was caught in the terrorist attack in the northern Burkinabè town of Titao, near the Ghana border.

“The Ghana Embassy in Burkina Faso is liaising with the officials of Burkina Faso to visit the attack site for details and identification of Ghanaians caught in the attack,” the statement read. “Further details would be communicated to the public.”

While no official casualty figures have been released by Ghanaian or Burkinabè authorities as of February 15, 2026, and the identities of those affected remain unconfirmed, reports on social media, where the news about the attack first broke, suggest at least seven of the traders hit have died.

The attack took place in a region of Burkina Faso that has seen frequent jihadist incursions by groups linked to al-Qaeda and Islamic State affiliates operating in the Sahel.

Cross-border trade in agricultural goods, especially tomatoes, onions, and other perishables, is a major economic lifeline for communities on both sides of the Ghana-Burkina Faso frontier. However, escalating insecurity in northern Burkina Faso has increasingly disrupted commercial movements, raised insurance costs, and threatened livelihoods.

The Ministry’s prompt public communication reflects growing concern over the safety of Ghanaian nationals operating in volatile border areas. Ghanaian consular officials are expected to provide further updates as more information emerges from the joint site visit.

Continue Reading

Trending