Africa Watch
Jacob Zuma’s Daughter Accuses Her Sister Of Tricking Innocent South Africans Into Fighting For Russia
A deep and unexpected rift has opened inside one of South Africa’s most prominent political families.
Two daughters of former president Jacob Zuma are now on opposite sides of a criminal investigation that has drawn in the police, the ruling coalition, and families of 17 South African men allegedly lured into Russia’s war in Ukraine.
Nkosazana Zuma Mncube has filed a formal criminal complaint accusing her sister, Duduzile Zuma-Sambudla, of recruiting the men under the false promise of bodyguard training — only for them to find themselves on or near the frontlines of the Russia-Ukraine war.
According to The Guardian, police confirmed the case is under investigation, with officers saying the recruits reported possible mercenary involvement.
The allegation comes at a volatile moment. Zuma-Sambudla, long one of Jacob Zuma’s most outspoken political allies, resigned from Parliament last week as pressure mounted. Her party, uMkhonto weSizwe (MK), insists the resignation is not an admission of guilt and says she is cooperating fully with investigators.
A Family Affair Turned International Crisis
According to the complaint filed on November 22, Zuma Mncube alleges her sister — along with two associates, Siphokazi Xuma and Blessing Khoza — helped funnel the 17 men to Russia. Some of those recruited were reportedly related to the complainant. South Africa’s presidency has separately acknowledged it is investigating the case after receiving “distress calls” from the trapped men.
The Guardian further reports that the men told relatives and journalists they signed contracts written in Russian, which they could not read, and believed they were enrolling in a legitimate training course connected to the MK Party. One recruit said they realized too late they were being pushed toward mercenary activity, a violation of South African law.
Zuma-Sambudla Says She Was Misled Too
In a sworn affidavit, Zuma-Sambudla portrays herself not as a recruiter, but as another victim — claiming she believed she was participating in a legitimate paramilitary training program and traveled to Russia herself for what she described as “non-combat, controlled activities.”
“I would not, under any circumstances, knowingly expose my own family or any other person to harm,” she wrote, insisting she shared information “innocently” with others who then volunteered to join.
Her explanation has not dampened scrutiny, especially given her history of vocal support for Russia and President Vladimir Putin. She has repeatedly posted pro-Russian content on X (formerly Twitter), including on the day Russia invaded Ukraine.

A Politically Sensitive Investigation
South Africa’s government has maintained a delicate diplomatic posture on Russia’s invasion, officially claiming neutrality. But the scandal now intersects with domestic politics, foreign policy, and the internal dynamics of the Zuma family, which remains influential despite Jacob Zuma’s ouster in 2018 and ongoing corruption controversies.
The men at the center of the case remain stranded in eastern Ukraine, according to South African officials, who say efforts are underway to bring them home.
For now, the police investigation continues, with two sisters — once political allies — now presenting sharply different versions of how a group of South African men ended up in one of the world’s most dangerous war zones.
Africa Watch
United States Intensifies Operation in Nigeria as 3 Military Aircraft Deliver Ammunition and More Troops
At least three United States military transport aircraft landed at the Bornu Military Airbase (Maiduguri) and other northeastern bases between Thursday and Friday, February 12–13, 2026.
Reports by Nigerian newspaper Punch, the aircraft delivered ammunition, logistics support, and the vanguard of a planned deployment of American personnel, citing multiple defence sources.
The arrivals were first noted by The New York Times, which reported that C-17 Globemaster III cargo planes landed in Maiduguri on Thursday night, with three aircraft visible by Friday evening as equipment was offloaded. Additional flights were expected over the weekend and in the coming weeks.
A US Department of Defense official described the initial landings as “the vanguard of what will be a stream of C-17 transport flights into three main locations across Nigeria.”
Senior Nigerian Defence Headquarters officers, speaking anonymously to Sunday Punch, confirmed the aircraft carried ammunition supplied by the US government as part of ongoing bilateral security cooperation.
“Following Nigeria-US bilateral talks on security, the American government will not only deploy soldiers but also provide necessary logistics, including ammunition, to fight the insurgents.”
Another high-ranking source explained that the deliveries were routine replenishment of ammunition stocks after operations, noting that Nigeria’s military frequently requires resupply of various calibres.
The officers described the support as coordinated under the National Security Adviser and part of a broader partnership to end insecurity.
A separate X post by counter-terrorism tracker @mobilisingniger reported that a US Air Force C-130J-30 cargo aircraft landed at Kaduna International Airport on Friday after departing from Ghana, fuelling speculation that Kaduna could serve as a training hub for US personnel working with the Nigerian military.
The deployment aligns with President Donald Trump’s 2025 declaration that he would send US forces to Nigeria if the government failed to address what he called “genocide against Christians,” followed by Nigeria’s designation as a Country of Particular Concern. The US carried out an airstrike on Islamic State fighters in Sokoto State on Christmas Day 2025, and bilateral engagements have since deepened.
Experts offered mixed but largely pragmatic assessments. Retired Nigerian Army Intelligence officer Chris Andrew clarified that the arrivals involve technical trainers, drone specialists, and intelligence advisers — not combat troops. He noted recent improvements in Nigerian air operations following US training and suggested Nigeria should seize the opportunity to host a drone base (potentially in Sambisa Forest) after the US withdrawal from Niger.
When U.S. launched strikes against terrorists in Sokoto in December 2025, Security analyst and international intelligence expert Kasambata Yaro cautioned that even a legally sanctioned military operation can generate unease across the region.
“Although Nigeria’s explicit consent addresses the fundamental legal question of sovereignty,” Yaro told Ghana News Global, “the broader regional implications remain complex.”
Nigerian security analyst Chidi Omeje has also told Punch that any cooperation must preserve Nigerian sovereignty, with no foreign troops conducting operations without approval.
The US deployment is expected to focus on targeted counter-terrorism support, drone operations, precision air capabilities, and training to protect vulnerable communities, particularly Christians in the northeast.
No official joint statement has been issued by the Nigerian Defence Headquarters or the US Embassy as of February 16, 2026, but the arrivals signal a significant deepening of US–Nigeria security cooperation amid persistent Boko Haram and ISWAP threats.
Africa Watch
Ghana Elected First Vice-Chair of African Union for 2026 as Burundi Assumes Chairmanship
Ghana has been elected First Vice-Chair of the African Union (AU) for 2026 during the 46th Ordinary Session of the Assembly of Heads of State and Government in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, on February 14, 2026.
President John Dramani Mahama’s nomination was unanimously endorsed by AU member states, placing Ghana in the second-highest leadership position of the continental body for the coming year.
Burundi’s President Évariste Ndayishimiye officially assumed the AU Chairmanship, succeeding Angola’s João Lourenço, while the full Bureau now reflects balanced regional representation across Africa’s five geographic zones.
The election underscores Ghana’s growing diplomatic influence and its active role in advancing the AU’s core priorities: deepening continental integration, accelerating the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA), strengthening peace and security mechanisms, mobilising climate finance, and advancing institutional reforms.

During the summit, President Mahama delivered remarks reinforcing Ghana’s commitment to these goals, including renewed calls for regional manufacturing hubs, vaccine production capacity, and a UN resolution on reparatory justice for the transatlantic slave trade. Ghana’s First Vice-Chair position will give the country a prominent platform to champion these issues over the next 12 months.
The 46th AU Summit, held February 13–18, 2026, adopted the 2026 theme “Assuring Sustainable Water Availability and Safe Sanitation Systems to Achieve the Goals of Agenda 2063,” with leaders also addressing ongoing conflicts, debt burdens, and global economic pressures affecting Africa.
Ghana’s elevation to First Vice-Chair is widely seen as recognition of its consistent advocacy for Pan-African unity, democratic governance, and economic transformation — principles central to the “Reset Ghana” agenda.
Africa Watch
Ghana Continues Push for UN Resolution on Transatlantic Slave Trade Reparations at AU Summit
Ghana has formally urged the African Union (AU) to rally continental support for a proposed United Nations resolution seeking international acknowledgment, accountability, and reparatory justice for the transatlantic slave trade and its enduring legacies.
The call was made during the 46th Ordinary Session of the AU Assembly of Heads of State and Government in Addis Ababa on February 13, 2026.
Ghana’s delegation, led by President John Dramani Mahama, stated that the resolution — currently under discussion at the UN — aims to establish a global framework for formal apology, acknowledgment of historical harm, educational reforms, economic reparations, and debt cancellation for affected nations.
Ghana argued that the slave trade, which forcibly removed an estimated 12–15 million Africans between the 15th and 19th centuries, created lasting structural inequalities, underdevelopment, and racial injustice that persist today. The country positioned the resolution as a moral, legal, and economic imperative for global healing and development justice.
Key elements Ghana is advocating for in the UN text include:
- Official recognition of the transatlantic slave trade as a crime against humanity
- Establishment of an international reparations mechanism
- Support for education curricula reforms worldwide to teach the full history and impact of the trade
- Debt relief and development financing for African nations as partial reparatory measures
- Preservation and digitisation of slave trade archives and memorials
The proposal builds on Ghana’s long-standing leadership on reparations, including the 2019 Year of Return, the establishment of the Emancipation Day holiday, and hosting of multiple Pan-African reparations conferences. It also aligns with the AU’s 2025 Theme of the Year: “Justice for Africans and People of African Descent Through Reparations.”
Ghana’s delegation called on fellow AU member states to co-sponsor the resolution, lobby permanent members of the UN Security Council, and mobilise support in the General Assembly. Several leaders expressed solidarity during closed-door discussions, with follow-up coordination expected through the AU’s Committee of Fifteen on Reparations.
The move reflects Ghana’s continued role as a voice for historical justice and Pan-African solidarity on the global stage.
-
Ghana News1 day agoGhana News Live Updates: Catch up on all the Breaking News Today (Feb. 15, 2026)
-
Ghana News12 hours agoGhana News Live Updates: Catch up on all the Breaking News Today (Feb. 16, 2026)
-
Ghana News1 day agoGhana is Going After Russian Man Who Secretly Films Women During Intimate Encounters
-
Ghana News2 days agoThree Killed, Multiple Vehicles Burnt as Fuel Tanker Explodes on Nsawam-Accra Highway
-
Business1 day agoSilent Turf War Intensifies: U.S. Extends AGOA, China Responds with Zero-Tariff Access to 53 African Nations
-
Ghana News1 day agoThe Largest Floating Solar Farm Project in West Africa is in Ghana: Seldomly Talked About But Still Powering Homes
-
Ghana News1 day agoGhana Actively Liaising with Burkinabè Authorities After Terrorists Attack Ghanaian Tomato Traders in Burkina Faso
-
Taste GH2 days agoOkro Stew: How to Prepare the Ghanaian Stew That Stretches, Survives, and Still Feels Like Home
