Connect with us

From the Diaspora

Man’s Incestuous Romance Ends in Tragedy: UK Cousin Dies After Unsafe Abortion

Published

on

AI-generated image by freepik

Enock never imagined the woman he chatted with for two years on Facebook, sending heart emojis and promises of love, would turn out to be his own blood.

But that’s exactly what happened when she died from complications of an unsafe abortion, a secret he pressured her into, and a family curse that nearly swallowed him whole.

The 28-year-old Ghanaian, speaking through tears on Pastor Prince Elisha Osei’s Secret TV YouTube channel, confessed he connected with the woman, a UK resident, purely for her money.

“I didn’t know she was my cousin when we met on Facebook,” Enock said, hiding his face from the view of the camera. “All I knew was that she lived abroad and because of that, I had bad intentions. I planned to spend her money, so I lied to her about loving her.”

Their virtual flirtation turned real when she flew to Ghana and stayed with him for three months. She got pregnant. Enock, already in a relationship with a local woman, panicked.

“My girlfriend here told me to make her abort it since I wasn’t in love with her,” he admitted.

He convinced the woman to end the pregnancy at an unregulated clinic, never revealing his double life.

Weeks later, she fell gravely ill. Her mother rushed from the UK to nurse her in a Ghanaian hospital, but it was too late. The woman died, her family shattered and unaware of Enock’s role. When Enock visited their extended family home—drawn by a nagging guilt—he saw her photo on the mourning wall. Asking about her, he learned the unthinkable: she was his cousin.

“I couldn’t say anything. I couldn’t confess,” Enock recalled, his voice breaking.

The family, in their grief, cursed the “unknown man” who had gotten her pregnant. Enock fled, haunted, until he sought out Pastor Osei for spiritual cleansing.

This story, which has been gaining traction in Ghana, isn’t just a cautionary tale of online deception; it’s a gut-wrenching reminder of how fragile family secrets can unravel lives.

In a world where Facebook bridges oceans but blurs bloodlines, Enock’s regret humanizes the fallout from exploitation and denial.

For Ghanaians in the diaspora, this tragic story hits harder, reminding us about the need to interrogate the background of our virtual romantic partners.

Unsafe abortions, meanwhile, claim too many young lives, and Enock’s story screams for better access and less shame.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

From the Diaspora

Fear Grips African Students in the UK After Nigerian’s Death Sparks Fresh Fears Over Chronic Illness

Published

on

The death of a Nigerian postgraduate student in the United Kingdom has triggered concern within the diaspora over rising cases of chronic illnesses among Nigerians living overseas.

Douglas Izevbigie, 37, died on January 21 at a UK hospital after battling an aggressive form of leukaemia, according to details shared in a fundraising appeal created following his passing.

The GoFundMe campaign was organised by a woman identified as Sephora, who described herself as a colleague of the deceased’s sister. The fundraiser aims to help the family cover funeral expenses and related costs.

Illness during studies abroad

Izevbigie had travelled to the UK in 2024 as an international student to pursue a master’s degree at Sheffield Hallam University. He was diagnosed with an aggressive form of leukaemia midway through his studies last year and spent extended periods in hospital due to complications.

Despite his illness, he reportedly continued trying to keep up with his academic work.

According to the fundraising appeal, Izevbigie was found unwell and unresponsive in his room by his sister before being rushed to an emergency department, where he later died despite urgent medical care.

The loss has been particularly devastating for his sister, Kate, who had recently lost their mother in Nigeria and had served as his primary support throughout his illness.

Burial plans and fundraising

Organisers said the family intends to bury him in the UK because of the high costs associated with repatriating his remains to Nigeria.

“We are raising money to cover Douglas’ funeral expenses here in the UK,” the appeal stated, noting that repatriation costs would be “far too expensive.”

Growing concerns among diaspora

News of his death sparked widespread discussion among Nigerians living in Britain, many expressing alarm over what they described as a pattern of chronic illness diagnoses among migrants.

Some social media users called for greater medical awareness, urging Nigerians relocating abroad to undergo thorough health checks upon arrival and register with local healthcare providers promptly.

Others questioned whether cases of illnesses such as leukaemia may go undetected in Nigeria due to limited diagnostic access.

Another recent death

Izevbigie’s passing comes days after another Nigerian in the UK, footballer Saburi Adeniji, died following a severe brain stem injury. His death also prompted public appeals for support and prayers.

Together, the incidents have intensified conversations within the Nigerian diaspora about health awareness, early diagnosis, and access to medical care for citizens living abroad.

Continue Reading

From the Diaspora

Ghanaian-Born Basketball Prospect Charles Bediako Barred From NCAA Play After Judge’s Ruling

Published

on

A U.S. judge has ruled that Charles Bediako, a Ghanaian-born basketball player whose winding career has spanned college, the NBA G League, and professional contracts, is not eligible to return to college basketball, effectively ending his NCAA career.

According to ESPN, Tuscaloosa County Circuit Court Judge Daniel F. Pruet on February 9, 2026, denied Bediako’s motion for a preliminary injunction, overturning a temporary ruling that had allowed him to suit up for the University of Alabama earlier this season.

The decision shuts the door on Bediako’s attempt to resume college eligibility after competing professionally.

Bediako, who is of Ghanaian descent and holds dual American and Canadian citizenship, first played for Alabama before leaving the program in 2023 to declare for the NBA Draft. He later signed a two-way NBA contract and spent the last three seasons in the NBA G League, establishing himself as a professional player.

Charles Bediako. Image Credit:@_charlesbediako on Instagram

In January, a judge granted Bediako a temporary restraining order (TRO) that allowed him to return to the court while his eligibility case was under review. During that brief window, he played in five games, averaging 10 points, 4.6 rebounds, and 1.4 blocks per game.

Judge Pruet ultimately ruled, however, that Bediako did not have a “reasonable expectation” of returning to the college ranks, noting that no previous player had been permitted to do so after competing professionally in the same manner.

The ruling drew swift reaction from the NCAA, which has maintained that college athletics should remain distinct from professional sports.

“Common sense won a round today,” NCAA President Charlie Baker said in a written statement. “The court saw this for what it is: an attempt by professionals to pivot back to college and crowd out the next generation of students.”

Baker added that while the NCAA welcomed the ruling, broader inconsistencies in eligibility rules—particularly across state laws—remain unresolved.

The University of Alabama, however, criticized the decision, arguing that the NCAA has applied its rules unevenly. In a statement, the school said it was disappointed by the court’s denial of the injunction and pointed to cases where other players with professional experience—both overseas and in the G League—were deemed eligible to play college basketball.

“The NCAA has granted eligibility to over 100 current men’s basketball players with prior professional experience in the G League or overseas,” the university said. “Granting eligibility to some former professionals, and not to others, is what creates the havoc we are currently in and why consistency from decision-makers is so desperately needed.”

Bediako comes from a family deeply rooted in basketball. His brother, Jaden Bediako, played college basketball at Santa Clara and Seton Hall, while his sister, Jada Bediako, currently plays for Marquette.

For Bediako, whose journey from Ghanaian heritage to American college basketball and the professional ranks has been marked by constant transition, the ruling brings clarity—but also finality—to his NCAA ambitions.

Continue Reading

From the Diaspora

Ghana’s Ibrahim Yakubu Smashes National 60m Hurdles Record Twice in One Day at Harvard Invitational

Published

on

Ghanaian hurdler Ibrahim Yakubu has once again rewritten the history books, setting a new national record in the men’s 60m hurdles not once, but twice in the same competition at the Harvard Invitational in the United States.

Just weeks after breaking a 35-year-old Ghanaian record of 7.77 seconds (set in 1990), Yakubu stormed to an astonishing 7.76 seconds in the heats, erasing the previous mark. Unwilling to settle, he returned in the final and clocked an even faster 7.71 seconds, matching his personal best and cementing a double national-record performance on the same day.

The feat marks Yakubu’s rapid rise as one of Africa’s most promising sprint hurdlers. His back-to-back improvements signal strong form ahead of the 2026 African Championships and the build-up to the 2028 Olympic cycle.

Yakubu, who trains in the United States, has credited disciplined preparation, technical refinement, and mental toughness for the breakthrough.

Athletics enthusiasts in Ghana and across the continent have hailed him as a new face of African sprint hurdling excellence.

Continue Reading

Trending