Ghana News
Top Headlines in Ghana: December 6, 2025 – Security Warnings, Spiritual Galamsey Debate, National Farmer Honoured, Otto Addo’s Confidence, Plus More
Ghana’s weekend news cycle is being dominated by warnings from political leaders, fierce debates over illegal mining, an inspiring national farming milestone, a confident message from the Black Stars camp, and major defence acquisitions approved by Parliament.
Muntaka Warns Online ‘Fearmongers’: “Stop or We Will Come After You”
Interior Minister Muntaka Mubarak has issued a sharp warning to Ghanaians spreading panic online, accusing some social media users of intentionally heightening fears about national security.
Muntaka said such behaviour undermines stability and vowed that authorities “will come after” individuals weaponising misinformation. His comments reflect growing tension between the political class and a restless online citizenry increasingly vocal about economic hardship and governance concerns.
“Galamsey Is a Spiritual Crisis” – Prof. Frimpong-Manso
The national conversation about illegal mining took an unexpected turn after Prof. Joseph Frimpong-Manso, a prominent former government official, argued that galamsey is not merely an economic problem but a spiritual crisis.
He said the destruction of lands and water bodies reveals a deeper moral decay, calling for both policy reforms and spiritual renewal. His remarks highlight public frustration with the state’s inability to curb the multi-billion-cedi environmental threat.
82-Year-Old Named 2025 National Best Farmer
In a moment that captured the nation’s admiration, 82-year-old Alhaji Mohammed Haruna was crowned the 2025 Overall Best National Farmer.
The octogenarian’s win is a striking reminder of the generational commitment anchoring Ghana’s agricultural sector. His decades-long dedication—spanning crops, livestock, and mentorship—earned praise across the political divide.
At a time when rural youth participation in agriculture continues to decline, Haruna’s story offers a powerful counter-narrative.
“We Can Beat Anyone” – Otto Addo on Ghana’s World Cup Draw
Black Stars coach Otto Addo struck an optimistic tone following Ghana’s placement in a challenging World Cup group.
In remarks carried by Joy Sports, Addo said Ghana “can beat anyone” if players maintain discipline and confidence. His comments reflect a strategic shift—from cautious optimism to bold assertiveness—as the national team pushes to reclaim its standing on the global stage.
Parliament Approves Helicopters and New Presidential Jet for Ghana Air Force
Parliament has approved major defence procurements, including four helicopters and a new presidential jet, in deals with Airbus and Dassault Aviation.
Key details:
- €125.97 million for one H160 and three H175 helicopters (Airbus Helicopter SAS)
- $60.68 million for one Falcon 6X (Dassault Aviation)
- Government financing spans four years, with the first €62.5 million installment scheduled for December 2025.
The acquisitions have stirred debate among critics who question the timing given Ghana’s current fiscal tightening. Supporters, however, argue the aircraft are essential for national security, VIP travel efficiency, and improved operational capacity for the Ghana Air Force.
Ghana News
Russian Man Who Secretly Filmed Ghanaian Women Reportedly Arrested in Tokyo
A now-viral video purports to show the Russian national who previously gained attention in Ghana for controversial secret videos being arrested in Tokyo.
The video captures the man often identified in online reports by the username “Yaytsesl” being handcuffed and his rights being read to him by a Japanese law enforcement officer.
Arrest captured in partially verified video
The partially blurred footage circulating online shows Japanese police officers informing the man of his rights to remain silent in English while placing him under arrest.
In the video, officers say they had reviewed his online content before taking action.
The man is heard responding that he had never been arrested before and asking what personal items he would be allowed to bring.
The authenticity of the footage has not been independently verified.
Background: online activity linked to Ghana controversy
The suspect had drawn international attention after posting videos involving escapes with women in Kenya and Ghana that sparked widespread backlash.
The content allegedly included exploitative online material tied to vulnerable individuals, which triggered outrage among social media users and prompted calls for investigation.
Ghanaian authorities later confirmed they were aware of the situation and had initiated inquiries into the man’s activities while he was in the country. Officials indicated they were cooperating with international partners as part of broader investigations.
Reports from African and Russian media described the man as a self-proclaimed “pick-up artist” and online blogger in his 30s who travelled to Ghana and other African countries, where he allegedly recorded interactions with women without their knowledge.
Media outlets in both regions also alleged that he used sunglasses equipped with a hidden camera to capture some of the encounters and later shared the footage on social media, although authorities have not officially confirmed these claims.
Cross-border legal implications
Japanese police have not publicly disclosed the exact charges, but the arrest, if confirmed, highlights how digital activity can lead to international law enforcement action. Authorities reportedly acted after reviewing evidence linked to his online conduct.
The case has also sparked debate in Ghana about online exploitation, digital regulation, and the protection of vulnerable populations in the age of social media.
In Ghana, under the Cybersecurity Act 2020, the law punishes those who share nude photos or videos online, especially of women and children, often for revenge or blackmail.
Ghana News
Several Ghanaian Traders Feared Dead in the Brutal Terrorist Attack in Burkina Faso
Several Ghanaian traders are feared dead after a truck carrying tomato merchants from Ghana was attacked by suspected terrorists in Titao, Burkina Faso, on Saturday, February 14, 2026.
In an official statement issued on February 14, 2026, Ghana’s Ministry of the Interior and National Security described the incident as “disturbing,” reflecting the gravity of the situation, but kept its lips tight about casualties.

The release, signed by Minister Mohammed-Mubarak Muntaka (MP), stated that the vehicle transporting the traders was caught in the terrorist attack in the northern Burkinabè town of Titao, near the Ghana border.
“The Ghana Embassy in Burkina Faso is liaising with the officials of Burkina Faso to visit the attack site for details and identification of Ghanaians caught in the attack,” the statement read. “Further details would be communicated to the public.”
While no official casualty figures have been released by Ghanaian or Burkinabè authorities as of February 15, 2026, and the identities of those affected remain unconfirmed, reports on social media, where the news about the attack first broke, suggest at least seven of the traders hit have died.
The attack took place in a region of Burkina Faso that has seen frequent jihadist incursions by groups linked to al-Qaeda and Islamic State affiliates operating in the Sahel.
Cross-border trade in agricultural goods, especially tomatoes, onions, and other perishables, is a major economic lifeline for communities on both sides of the Ghana-Burkina Faso frontier. However, escalating insecurity in northern Burkina Faso has increasingly disrupted commercial movements, raised insurance costs, and threatened livelihoods.
The Ministry’s prompt public communication reflects growing concern over the safety of Ghanaian nationals operating in volatile border areas. Ghanaian consular officials are expected to provide further updates as more information emerges from the joint site visit.
Ghana News
Ghana News Live Updates: Catch up on all the Breaking News Today (Feb. 16, 2026)
Welcome to today’s real-time updates of developments in Ghana for Sunday, February 16, 2026. Return often for fresh summaries as stories break.
7 Ghanaians Reportedly Killed in Burkina Faso Terrorist Attack

Seven Ghanaian nationals are feared dead after a truck carrying tomato traders from Ghana was attacked by suspected terrorists in Titao, Burkina Faso, on Saturday, February 14, 2026. The Ministry of the Interior confirmed the incident, stating the Ghana Embassy in Ouagadougou is liaising with local authorities to visit the site, confirm identities, and provide support. The attack occurred in a volatile Sahel border region where terrorist groups have intensified cross-border operations.
Read the full story here
No More Excuses – NCA Rolls Out Stricter Mobile Service Standards
The National Communications Authority (NCA) has introduced tougher quality-of-service standards for mobile network operators, effective immediately. The new rules, announced February 13, 2026, set minimum benchmarks for call drop rates, data speeds, network availability, and customer complaint resolution times, with heavy fines for persistent violations. The NCA said the measures aim to end years of public complaints about poor service and force operators to invest in infrastructure upgrades.
Read the full story here
Ex-Sergeant Peter Tasiri, Main Brain Behind June 4 Uprising, Is Dead

Retired Sergeant Peter Tasiri, widely regarded as one of the key architects and ideologues of the June 4, 1979, Armed Forces Revolutionary Council (AFRC) uprising in Ghana, has died. The former soldier, who played a central role in the revolutionary events that led to the execution of eight senior military officers, passed away on February 13, 2026. Tributes have poured in from veterans, historians, and political figures acknowledging his controversial yet pivotal place in Ghana’s post-independence history.
Read the full story here
Return to Lecture Halls Effective Feb 16 – CETAG Directs Members
The Colleges of Education Teachers Association of Ghana (CETAG) has directed its members to resume in-person lectures starting Monday, February 16, 2026, following the suspension of an earlier strike. The directive, issued February 13, 2026, comes after negotiations with government representatives addressed outstanding concerns over conditions of service and allowances. CETAG urged full compliance to avoid disruptions to the academic calendar.
Read the full story here
Accra Gridlock Costs Ghana GH¢4.5bn a Year – Report
Traffic congestion in the Greater Accra Metropolitan Area costs the Ghanaian economy an estimated GH¢4.5 billion annually in lost productivity, fuel waste, vehicle maintenance, and health impacts, according to a new study released February 13, 2026. The report, commissioned by the Ministry of Roads and Highways, highlights peak-hour delays averaging 2–3 hours daily and calls for urgent investment in mass transit, road expansion, smart traffic systems, and alternative transport corridors.
Read the full story here
NPA Raises Price Floor for Feb 16 Window: Petrol Up to GH¢10.24, Diesel Pegged at GH¢11.34
The National Petroleum Authority (NPA) has adjusted the price floors for the February 16 pricing window, increasing the maximum retail price for petrol to GH¢10.24 per litre and setting diesel at GH¢11.34 per litre. The February 13, 2026, announcement reflects movements in global crude prices, exchange rate fluctuations, and local taxes. The NPA assured consumers that margins remain regulated to prevent excessive profiteering by Oil Marketing Companies.
Read the full story here
AGI Demands Protection for Local Manufacturers Under 24-Hour Economy
The Association of Ghana Industries (AGI) has called for strong safeguards for local manufacturers as government pushes ahead with the 24-hour economy policy. In a February 13, 2026, statement, AGI President Dr. Humphrey Ayim Darku warned that unrestricted foreign competition could undermine domestic industries, job creation, and value addition. The group urged the government to prioritise local content, tax incentives, and import substitution in the policy rollout.
Read the full story here
GTYA Calls for Urgent Road Safety and Infrastructure Reforms After Nsawam Tanker Explosion
The Ghana Tyre and Automotive Association (GTYA) has renewed calls for comprehensive road safety and infrastructure reforms following the fatal fuel tanker explosion on the Nsawam-Accra highway that killed three people on February 14, 2026. GTYA President Dr. Kwame Agyemang highlighted the need for mandatory speed limiters, fire-suppression systems on tankers, better road design, and stricter enforcement to prevent recurrence of such tragedies.
Read the full story here
T-Bills Investors Ignore Low Yields to Tender GH¢22.66 Billion Bids in Appetite Surge
Investors submitted GH¢22.66 billion in bids for Treasury bills in the February 13, 2026, auction, far exceeding the target despite historically low yields. The surge in demand reflects continued strong confidence in government debt instruments amid macroeconomic stabilisation efforts and attractive risk-adjusted returns compared to alternative savings options.
Read the full story here
-
Ghana News1 day agoGhana News Live Updates: Catch up on all the Breaking News Today (Feb. 15, 2026)
-
Ghana News2 days agoThree Killed, Multiple Vehicles Burnt as Fuel Tanker Explodes on Nsawam-Accra Highway
-
Ghana News1 day agoThe Largest Floating Solar Farm Project in West Africa is in Ghana: Seldomly Talked About But Still Powering Homes
-
Ghana News22 hours agoGhana Actively Liaising with Burkinabè Authorities After Terrorists Attack Ghanaian Tomato Traders in Burkina Faso
-
Ghana News10 hours agoGhana News Live Updates: Catch up on all the Breaking News Today (Feb. 16, 2026)
-
Ghana News1 day agoGhana is Going After Russian Man Who Secretly Films Women During Intimate Encounters
-
Business1 day agoSilent Turf War Intensifies: U.S. Extends AGOA, China Responds with Zero-Tariff Access to 53 African Nations
-
Taste GH1 day agoOkro Stew: How to Prepare the Ghanaian Stew That Stretches, Survives, and Still Feels Like Home
